cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox document sharing link too long

Dropbox document sharing link too long

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6

I’ve having issues with the Dropbox links to documents as they are too long.

I’ve copied the link which is view only but the website I’m adding the link too (pimcore as an admin) won’t accept it as it’s way too at over 100 characters!

Please can anyone suggest how the link can be  shortened? 

Thank you 

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@Trimom62 wrote:

I’ve copied the link which is view only but the website I’m adding the link too (pimcore as an admin) won’t accept it as it’s way too at over 100 characters!

You'll need to run it through a third-party link shortening service. There's no way to shorten the link with Dropbox.

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for the reply. What a pain! 

cvt1
New member | Level 2

This is really unfortunate.  The lengths of your hyperlinks have recently increased dramatically.  This is very unfortunate as I build QR codes to them.  With the change in link length, the QR codes are not easily recognized by phone cameras.  I link to hundreds of documents and cannot reasonably run them all through 3rd party link shorteners.  I've used/paid for dropbox for 12 years.  This could be a dealbreaker.  Please consider a solution.  Maybe your own tinyurl tool or something.

Rich
Super User II

@cvt1 wrote:

Maybe your own tinyurl tool or something.

Dropbox had their own link shortening service at one time, using the db.tt domain, but they discontinued it long ago.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    cvt1 New member | Level 2
    Trimom62 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?