cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Search in Dropbox does not work

Dropbox is not searchable in Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

robinwn
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox files/folders are not searchable in spotlight on new MacBook Pro with M1 chip - Monterey OS 12.0.1. Have re-indexed spotlight. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox and rebooted. Have made sure Dropbox has full access in Security and Privacy. Help please?

181 Replies 181

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jmu1981, I've just sent you an email, so we can look into this. Just make sure to get back to me, when you can.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DH171981
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same issue on a new iMac, When I search for anything in a Dropbox folder nothing shows in Finder unless I click on "This Mac".

I am using macOS Monterey Version 12.6

MarkBarLev
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Having the same problem, but only in the folder that the most recent update of the dropbox back end created with my user name on it (business account). There's another folder inside my dropbox folder that is searchable using Mac spotlight search just fine. I have an open ticket with Dropbox support but as of yet they haven't had any solution.

davidarden
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have found a solution, everyone! I hope everyone struggling with this will find this post. The problem isn't with dropbox, it's with Mac Spotlight. Which surprised me, as I always thought the finder search was separate from Spotlight, but apparently, on the back end, both are one-in-the-same. I've heard many times that re-indexing spotlight didn't work, but it does! You just have to do it a different way for everything to ACTUALLY 100% reindex.

Tutorial is here on apple's forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253479408

Just giving credit where credit is due.

In case that goes away, instructions are also listed below.

• Open System Preferences and go to Spotlight's Privacy tab.
  • Add the entire hard disk INTO the Privacy list.
  • Maybe wait 30s.
  • Remove the hard disk FROM the Privacy list.

Spotlight will re-index. After finish re-indexing, the search in folder works for me.

(To see if Spotlight is indexing, use Command+Space to invoke Spotlight, and type in something. Wait a second. You should see a progress bar to show indexing progress)

Of note, I am on Mac OS Monterey 12.6 (21G115). My dropbox version is 158.4.4564. These are both the lastest, as of now, 10.3.2022.

Hopefully this helps! Changed my life - I can work again!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @davidarden, thanks for sharing this with us!

If everyone can try this and let us know if it worked for you, that'd be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MarkBarLev
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi David. Did you try doing this with just the Dropbox folder first and that didn't work but when you did the entire drive it did? I haven't consciously done the whole drive, but I did re-index a big chunk of it, to no avail. But if the above is true, I can try again.

JimmyDinh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you, @davidarden!!! It worked for me!!! I AM ELATED!!!

davidarden
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@MarkBarLev Hi Mark. I tried pretty much everything in the book. The only thing that worked was reindexing the entire HDD, per the instructions in the Spotlight section of system preferences. Also, there were a few posts that spoke of using terminal commands to reindex. None of that worked for me. Good news is this is pretty simple and took about an hour to fully reindex everything, at least for me, and 100% fixed the problem.

davidarden
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@JimmyDinh Nice!! Glad I could help.

MarkBarLev
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Great! Thanks. I’ll try it, especially since escalated Dropbox support takes days to get back to me and doesn’t have a solution.
Need more support?