cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox no longer syncs automatically on my Windows 7 computers

Dropbox no longer syncs automatically on my Windows 7 computers

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong board.

This problem just started today. I have had a free dropbox account for a number of years. I'm very happy with dropbox. However, starting yesterday dropbox no longer connects up automatically to update changes to my stored files. My dropbox is installed on a Windows 7 machine. I have the same problem on a second W7 machine. One machine is at my home, the other is at work. separate networks, separate connectivity, both machines have worked perfectly with dropbox for 10+ years. I'm thinking maybe dropbox no longer suppports W7?

Does anyone have a suggestion where to start in resolving this problem? Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

@Hannah

Problem resolved?  Let me restate the problem: 

After replying to Hannah's question about the information shown when hovering over the dropbox icon, I brought up a file from my local dropbox files, stored locally on my Windows 7 computer. I made an edit on that local file, then hit the Save button, and exited the file. Then I logged into my dropbox account online, went to the file which I had edited locally, and saw that the file had been appropriately updated.

So, it looks like dropbox has been actually syncing Ok.

Apparently, for some (Windows) reason, the icon in the taskbar was not bringing up the list of my local dropbox files. I then created a new desktop icon for dropbox, and that worked fine. I then deleted the non-working taskbar icon.

So I think now all is good (fingers crossed).  Many thanks to Hannah and to all the Dropbox community for pitching in and helping me with my perceived (non)problem. I see now I was just misunderstanding the problem, which was actually a Windows problem

Best wishes to all!! 

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to the Community, @stephenroberts999!

Just to clarify, does Dropbox not start automatically once you turn your computers on, or does the Dropbox icon randomly disappear while you work on your devices? 

What happens if you manually launch the Dropbox app from your Programs? Does it randomly crash at some point, or does it seem to sync properly then?

Finally, have you made sure that the "Start Dropbox on system startup" setting is enabled on both your computers?

Keep me posted for any updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Nancy! Thank you for replying. In both computers Dropbox is set to start up power up. When I left click on the DB icon in my taskbar I just see the "wait circle" going for maybe 5 -10 seconds, but then nothing happens.

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Nancy! I'm kind of panicking here, thus my somewhat garbled replies. Let me try and clarify.

In msconfig I see that Dropbox is set to start up on system startup (checkmark is present in the checkbox). I have the DB ico in my taskbar. when I left-click the DB icon I see the "wait circle" spinning for 5-10 seconds. Then the desktop should open, but nothing happens.

When log into my Dropbox online, I see that the most recent changes I made to a couple of my  files do not appear in the online files. The changes are only updated locally in my local DB folder.  In msconfig under General/Startup Selection I have Normal Startup "Load all device drivers and services". In msconfig Startup tab Dropbox is also set to start up (checkbox checked) at system startup

Needless to say, any help/suggestions you can provide would be Most Appreciated.

Thank you so much!

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

Also, in answer to your question, my Dropbox in the taskbar stays steady on, does not randomly disappear.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @stephenroberts999!

If you simply hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray, what's the sync status and version of the app there?

Do you see any error messages?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Hannah!

Thanks for responding. In answer to your question, when I hover over the DB icon in the taskbar I just get the little indicator saying [Dropbox]. Nothing else. Nothing regarding sync status or app version.

And, speaking of app version, I started with DB back in ~2014. I don't recall ever actively updating the app, unless DB auto-updates as a background process. Do you think the behavior I'm seeing could be related to using an old un-updated version? Should I update or reinstall the app? If so, what is the best way to correctly do that in my situation?

I just think it's odd that both instances of Dropbox on my two computers (PC, Windows 7) Dropbox have stopped running/syncing/connecting in the same way at the same time, despite the computers being in different locations (home, work) and on different connectivity (different networks, different ISPs, etc ).  My DB files are no longer getting updated when I go to look at them online on the DB website. It's as though syncing/communicating has gotten turned off on my Dropbox account. 

Thanks again for your response. I would greatly appreciate any comments/suggestions you may have.

Best,

-Steve

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, Steve! Can you send me a screenshot of what you see, when hovering over the Dropbox icon in your taskbar, just so that we can have a visual? 

Regarding what you mention next, the Dropbox app generally gets automatically updated to the latest version, so you shouldn’t need to manually update it each time.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

Hello everyone!

I'm still stuck with my dropbox not syncing or connecting when clicking on my dropbox icon. What happens if I re-install my dropbox? Do you think that would help?

Suggestions anyone?

Many thanks!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

That may help. Please try it, and let us know how it goes.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    stephenroberts999 Collaborator | Level 9
    WilmaE Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?