cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox using high amount of RAM / memory

Dropbox using high amount of RAM / memory

gumdrops
Helpful | Level 6

This is an issue for Dropbox running macOS Mojave 10.14.6. I've been using Dropbox for many years but as a really light user. I probably have around 200 data files, sizes ranging from a few bytes to a few hundred kilobytes. And the total is about 60 MB. I use Drop only for four apps; one which I never use, two others rarely, and one once a day. Most of the files are rarely used. So changes happen only to a few tiny-sized files. 

My usage on my MacBook has increased, so I started to use Activity Monitor to see which apps require culling to free up RAM. I'm really surprised that Dropbox often appears at the top five or four culprits. It takes up over 400 MB, which is insane as it is way larger than my other productivity apps which are constantly in use. Even if there are no active syncs, it still hogs RAM. 

I read the link posted by a moderator for similar threads in the past: possible symptoms of the excessive RAM amounts in this article

however, it mostly emphasises high CPU usage, and only a short paragraph on why one should have high RAM consumption. I don't have any issues with high CPU usage for Dropbox; monitoring it shows it hovers around the 0.2% of CPU usage. I don't think I have that many files. So that link is unhelpful for me. 

My Google Backup and Sync, and Onedrive consumes a lot less RAM, and I'm using them more frequently. 

Would any one have any recommendations, solutions or suggestions which helped them with this issue?

Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gumdrops; welcome to our Community! 

May I have a screenshot of your Activity Monitor to have a visual as well?

While we're at it, have you tried re-installing the app at all lately?

If not, could you give it a go using our most recent, stable build's offline installer and let me know the results?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

gumdrops
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the welcome. 🙂 

I uploaded two screenshots, one is macOS's Activity Monitor, while the other is a monitoring app called iStats Menus. 

macOS Activity MonitormacOS Activity Monitor

iStats MenusiStats Menus

When I boot my MacBook, Dropbox usually consumes above 200 MB, and then over time, it rises over 400 MB. 

No, I have not re-installed the app lately. I will try using the installer provided in the link, and get back to you.

gumdrops
Helpful | Level 6

So, I uninstalled Dropbox, and re-installed with the version in the link you gave. Then, I re-started my MacBook. I went to look at how Dropbox do this time: 

Activity Monitor post-reinstall Dropbox with offline installer.Activity Monitor post-reinstall Dropbox with offline installer.

iStats Menus post-reinstall Dropbox with offline installer.iStats Menus post-reinstall Dropbox with offline installer.

As you can see from Activity Monitor, it still takes up over 200 MB even after re-boot. But hey, Dropbox takes number one position this time. Yaaaaaaay........ but I jest, not really yay. 

I don't know why Dropbox is so hungry, nomming so much of my RAM. It really needs to be on a diet. 

Do you have any idea why this is happening or suggestions to solve this RAM issue?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the updates @gumdrops!

May I ask for a screenshot of the exact status of the desktop app as shown within the menu bar of the affected computer so I can see what it reports and its exact version? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

gumdrops
Helpful | Level 6

I'm not sure what you mean by status, as I can't find anywhere in the app, be it preferences, or in drop down menu to show status. I don't see an option to report status. I'm guessing this may be what you want:

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 00.54.51.jpg

And this is the version?:Dropbox desktop app versionDropbox desktop app version

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the visual aid @gumdrops; this was exactly what I was looking for!

If the desktop app is using so much RAM while you're not working within your Dropbox Folder and the app states 'Up to date' you might want to consider a clean, advanced re-install as it might help improve matters for you.

In any case, please keep me posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

gumdrops
Helpful | Level 6

I followed the instructions of re-installing Dropbox. I'll see how it goes, and keep you posted. 

gumdrops
Helpful | Level 6

So, I did that advance re-install and it may have helped. It now takes up over 270 MB at startup, and creeps up over time, but at least it hovers around the 310 MB mark, provided I'm not working with a lot of files being synced with Dropbox.

However, the negative side effect from that re-install..... it triggered that three-device limit for Basic plan users. So, I had to remove other devices linked to my Dropbox account for syncing..... which is really annoying as it makes my workflow and productivity complicated. ><

This is not related, and a side rant; I have several devices synced to Dropbox as I use a few productivity apps daily. They only use Dropbox to sync across devices, so I don't have an option. I wouldn't mind paying for a cheaper lower tiered subscription for lower capacity. Personally, I only need less than 5 GB, and don't really want to pay US$11.99 per month for some thing I don't use.

Oh well. Maybe Dropbox can offer a cheaper plan in the future. 

Thank you for your help, Walter. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks so much for keeping me in the loop here @gumdrops; I appreciate it. 

I'm sorry I wasn't aware that you had more than 3 devices linked on your account. As you know, we changed the device limit for Dropbox Basic users back in March 2019. Unfortunately this means that if you were exceeding the maximum of 3 devices linked, you'd need to reduce the total number of devices on your account to below 3 to re-link your account through the desktop app upon re-installing. 

As for your other concern, I'd suggest upvoting the relevant idea to show your interest.

Feel free to come back to me with any questions you may have in the future; I'll be happy to follow up.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gumdrops Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?