cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email attachments appear as .ink format.

Email attachments appear as .ink format.

Cleopatra22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Lately, whenever I add a video to Dropbox, it converts it to an .Ink file.  My recipients are not able to view the .Ink file in this format.  Previously, all my files on Dropbox were in MP4 format.  These same files are also on my hard drive in MP4 format, but are only on Dropbox in the .Ink format.  While I'm able to view the .Ink files, my recipients cannot.  Please help.  How can I change them back to MP4's on Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Cleopatra22, I hope you're doing well!

It sounds like your email provider, in this case Yahoo might have something to do with this file altering. Especially since the files all appear as .mp4 inside your Dropbox folder.

Have you considered using shared links directly through Dropbox, and sending the files that way? 

Let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Cleopatra22 wrote:

Lately, whenever I add a video to Dropbox, it converts it to an .Ink file.

An .lnk file is not a video file format. It's a shortcut, or link, to a file. In other words, you're not attaching the file to the email. You're attaching a link to the file. How, exactly, are you trying to attach your files to the email, and what mail program are you using?

Cleopatra22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

First, I would like to say that when I open Dropbox, all my files are in MP4 format, except two.  I use Yahoo mail.  I click on "attach file from your computer"; but if the file is too large, then I have the option to attach file(s) from Dropbox, which I click.  When I click that, Dropbox opens and I see a list of all the files I have on there.  Again, all are listed in MP4 format, except two that are listed in .Ink format.   These files are in MP4 format on my hard drive.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Cleopatra22, I hope you're doing well!

It sounds like your email provider, in this case Yahoo might have something to do with this file altering. Especially since the files all appear as .mp4 inside your Dropbox folder.

Have you considered using shared links directly through Dropbox, and sending the files that way? 

Let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Cleopatra22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You know what?  I think it IS my mail service(yahoo) that is causing this because when I open up Dropbox, all my video files are in MP4 format; and yet, when I to go Yahoo and I click "share files from Dropbox", the files are in .Ink format.  For a long time, Yahoo has been trying to get me to either forget my passwords or to pay to have something corrected.  They used to help people free of charge, but now there's a phone number you call and before they will help you, you have to pay.  So I bet this is just one more way they're trying to get me to pay.   Thank you anyway, Megan.   Best Wishes and I hope you are well, as well.  

Cleopatra22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Megan, I forgot to answer your question.   Yes, I guess I'll have to "share" file through Dropbox directly.  Thanks.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @Cleopatra22

Wishing you an amazing week ahead, take care! Heart

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Cleopatra22 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?