cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to Dropbox not working, no files uploading.

Email to Dropbox not working, no files uploading.

jamesalm
Helpful | Level 6

I've been using the email to dropbox function pretty consistently for a few months now. Just today I noticed it doesn't seem to be working. I have an application setup to email invoices to my dropbox email for later processing. The emails I sent this morning did not hit my folder (but the emails and files did go out). I tested it by sending an email from my regular email and the file I attached again did not make it to my folder. I confirmed the dropbox email hasn't been changed and I don't see anything on the dropbox status page about this being an issue. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

This issue should have been resolved for all users. Please let us know if it is still affecting you.

Email to Dropbox only works when files are attached, rather than included inline in the email itself. When using this feature, please make sure to add files as an attachment.

@IA Accounting can you try emailing your your file(s) as attachments and let us know if this is working for you?

Thanks,

Ben

View solution in original post

44 Replies 44

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @jamesalm, I hope you're doing well!

Let's jump right into this.

Are you forwarding these emails to your "Email to Dropbox" address, or are you emailing the address directly? 

It'd also help to know the email provider (Gmail, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc.) that you're using & also which email client (Outlook desktop app, etc.) are you using to send the email?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GreyFox386
Helpful | Level 5

I am trying to set this feature up for the first time today, and I am experiencing the exact same issue.  I have created a new email with a single .xlsx attachment and sent to my private email to dropbox address that I created this morning, but nothing ever shows up.  I have confirmed they are sending by adding a cc address, and the messages with attachment appear to the cc without issue.  I have tried this with three different email domains, and none of them worked.  Domains are gmail.com, fastmail.com and my companies business domain.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @GreyFox386, welcome to our Community!

What operating system (iOS, macOS, Windows, etc.) are you using to send the email?

As a test, can you try sending a few different file types (.pdf, .docx, .txt etc.). Does this issue occur on all file types?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

GreyFox386
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Megan, 

I have tried this from both a PC (Windows 11 using Outlook), as well as a mobile device (Android). I just tried a PDF file with a new email, and same result.  Nothing is showing up in the folder, although the email does arrive to the cc'd address.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @GreyFox386, just to be 100% certain, are the files definitely included as an attachment, and not added into the body of the email?

How large are the files you're trying to email to your account? Do you use any email forwarding or redirections at all?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

GreyFox386
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay, 

Yes, trying this as attachments in both PC and Android.  On PC using Microsoft Outlook and the paperclip icon to attach, and on Android, using the Gmail app, also with the paperclip.  The Excel file I tested with (.xlsx) is 3mb, and the PDF file I tried was 1mb.

Rich
Super User II

@Jay It's not working for me either. I just sent a couple test emails with an attachment, and none of the files arrived in the folder.

Mark
Super User II

Jumping in as well to confirm that I can also say this is not working.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ocHoco
Helpful | Level 6

Having this as well, as of today.  Was working for me as recently as two days ago (Sat, Feb 17th), but nothing I've sent today is reaching the Email Attachments folder. 

Took the step of getting a new "Email to Dropbox" email address ('Get new address' under Features / Email to Dropbox in Dropbox settings), but still doesn't work. The sent emails all show as always as successfully sent items, but their attachments just aren't reaching the "Email Attachments" folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    treebranchmedia Helpful | Level 5
    ocHoco Helpful | Level 6
    jamesalm Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?