cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File name changed when uploading to a Dropbox Request

File name changed when uploading to a Dropbox Request

Roblox1
New member | Level 2

I was logged into my account and uploaded a file to a requested folder link. However, when I got the upload confirmation email, it added my name to into the file name. I needed to have it named in a specific way and didn’t think it would add my name to then end of the file name.
Does this happen automatically?

23 Replies 23

JD444
Explorer | Level 4

A student of mine that she received a request from a client to upload a file to Dropbox.  She said that Dropbox was by default changing the filename she uploaded by adding her name to the file.  The problem is that her client had precise instructions for how files were to be named.  By adding her name, she appeared to be going against her client's wishes.  I suggested a workaround, where she'd set up a Dropbox account, upload the file there and invite her client to retrieve it there, thus avoiding having Dropbox mess with the filename.

Learningtech
Explorer | Level 4
This is exactly what happened to me. We followed instructions, but due to Dropbox default change, our file was not considered since the labeling was wrong.

JD444
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox is causing unnecessary grief with this default setting.  But the workaround is viable.

Suzi2
Explorer | Level 3
Yes this default setting needs to be changed. We name the file the way it needs to be. We don’t need Dropbox helping “show” who it’s from. File name are specific for a reason and this is ridiculous. How do we send feedback to Dropbox that is is a huge headache to its users?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Suzi2 Explorer | Level 3
    JD444 Explorer | Level 4
    Learningtech Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?