cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are renamed after being synced from third-party app

Files are renamed after being synced from third-party app

acs210
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a strange occurrence when synching files to Dropbox from third party applications. My Accordance Bible softwre application integrates with Dropbox to backup and sync files (e.g., preferences). From time to time, when I log into Dropbox and check the Accordance files there, I discover oddly named files that do not match anything on my PC. For example, I recently discovered a file titled 㔮昶瑖灸Kaces.apref (16.2 KB, Modified 12/20/2022). I found this file in Dropbox within my Accordance Preferences folder (Dropbox/Apps/Accordance/Accordance Preferences). I have searched throughout my laptop drives and no file with that name appears. That is, while I see the file in Dropbox as a supposed backed up [reference file, it does not exit in the corresponding folder on the laptop or anywhere else on the PC. I did a translation of the Chinese text and the online translator returns "Translate: Moxibustion," which is apparently a form of therapy that entails the burning of mugwort leaves. Obviously this not an accordance preference. Has anyone else "found" unknown files in their Dropbox folders? Any guesses what that may be?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acs210
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Agreed that it was likely created by the App. I was able to find a couple other individuals who have experienced the same thing. Yet, the vendor apparently has no clue why. It's so unpredictable and intermittent to make diagnosis easy. The filename has an extension that is specific to the application, though I don't wish to try to open it, just in case it may be malicious. It has a modified date as a property, but not a create date. I'll continue to follow up with the vendor to see if more is learned.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting your question here, @acs210!

Did you start having this issue after an update on Accordance, or did this start happening suddenly? 

Have you tried to disconnect your Dropbox account from Accordance, and connecting it once again? 

Keep me posted for any updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

acs210
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It has happened once before many months ago. There was an application update back in late November, but this unknown file did not appear until late December. It did happen before, several months ago. I disconnected and reconnected after the first occurrence. Unfortunately, it is intermittent and does not seem to follow a pattern or discernable 'cause-effect'. I also have a query with the application vendor asking whether they are aware or any other customer have experienced the same.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @acs210, since this file appears in the App folder, which is only accessed by that app specifically, then it should be related to some kind of setting in the app itself.

What does the version history say when you look into the file? Was it created by the app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

acs210
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Agreed that it was likely created by the App. I was able to find a couple other individuals who have experienced the same thing. Yet, the vendor apparently has no clue why. It's so unpredictable and intermittent to make diagnosis easy. The filename has an extension that is specific to the application, though I don't wish to try to open it, just in case it may be malicious. It has a modified date as a property, but not a create date. I'll continue to follow up with the vendor to see if more is learned.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

acs210 Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?