cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files in a shared folder went back to their previous versions, after I was removed from it

Files in a shared folder went back to their previous versions, after I was removed from it

surajkjha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

One of my clients shared her dropbox link with me. I started working on the shared files using my local dropbox folder on my desktop. while i had access she could check that work is getting updated on her local dropbox folder on desktop as well. But once she removed access all the files on her local dropbox folder went back to their previous versions and all the work was undone.

I am not able to solve this issue

Kindly help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there and happy Monday!

I don't think transfer would also be a viable solution to what you're trying to do.

Perhaps you might want to consider shared folders with wildcards in your Excel formulas.

Wildcards, e.g. "%HOMEPATH%”, would let you point to a location without having to worry about different usernames in the path, if the other user has the Dropbox folder located in the default location.

You can see more info here.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @surajkjha, thanks for letting us know about this.

This does sound a bit strange. What does your client see when they go to the folder on dropbox.com?

Are the most recent versions missing from there too?

If so, can you have them check the version history for the files, to see if the updates show up there?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

surajkjha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Well files are there on Dropbox.com but the main reason why we used local desktop Dropbox folder is because files were showing #ref error on Dropbox.com. So we decided to work on local desktop so that files can be linked and cell references can be made. Once the work got completed she removed access and as a result she said that all the files went back to original version on her local desktop.

As a matter of fact, i have all all files with updated version on my desktop Dropbox folder. But she hasn't.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update here!

Can you confirm that you're both looking at the same folder?

Is it possible that your client sent you a shared link to the folder instead of an invitation to a shared folder?

If they just sent you a link, you'd have the options to 'download' the files or 'save to Dropbox', when you opened the link, which would create a copy of the folder in your Dropbox.

That means that any updates you would make, wouldn't appear in the account of the person that shared the link with you.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

surajkjha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes, she shared the link to Dropbox and then gave access.
Assuming it was a shared link and not invitation, can you please mark the difference and explain how can I solve the issue so that she can have access to updated files

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @surajkjha, sorry to jump in here! 

It's not entirely clear to me if she shared a link your way, or added you to be part of the folder. 

If your client shared a link with you, that means you must have downloaded the content to your own Dropbox account, and worked on individual copies. 

It's important to note that if you downloaded those copies to your account, they wouldn't sync to your client's account through the old link she provided. 

You'd need to share them back to her. Now, the best way to solve this, would be for you to share the updated content back to her, from your Dropbox account. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

surajkjha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi @Megan,
Well it happened just the way you described. But the issue is if I share files from my Dropbox account then once she downloads them on her desktop it will again have problem related to cell referencing and sheet link ( the very reason she hired me for).
Can you help me with this so that when she downloads files on her desktop they appear exactly same as they do on my desktop computer

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @surajkjha, sorry to  jump in here, but I just wanted to clarify, are you talking about Microsoft Excel files and formulas when you say cell referencing and sheet links?

Also, are you using shared links to the files or folders you're sharing or are those files all located in the same shared folder? 

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

surajkjha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hey ,
Yes, i am talking about Microsoft Excel when I say cell referencing and file links.

My client had shared a link to a folder on Dropbox. Com. I downloaded files from there and worked on local drop box folder. Fixed the issues of cell referencing.
While I had access she could also see the updates but once she removed, everything went back to normal on her local Dropbox.
Now only I have the updated files on my desktop Dropbox folder

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info here.

I think I'll agree with @Megan and say that the best way to resolve this now, is to share the folder back to your client.

You can also do it through a shared link, so she can download the updated files on her end as well.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    surajkjha Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?