cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting shared folder to show up on my desktop

Getting shared folder to show up on my desktop

eruu
Explorer | Level 4

Hello
I logged in to the dropbox website this morning to create a shared folder. I dragged in some files and shared it with my client.
But I cannot figure out how to now get that folder to appear on my desktop? Would rather do my uploading and downloading on my deskteop instead of needing to login to the website anytime I want to access its files.
Thank you.
Eva

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

@eruu wrote:

I logged in to the dropbox website this morning to create a shared folder. I dragged in some files and shared it with my client. But I cannot figure out how to now get that folder to appear on my desktop?

If you install the Dropbox application on your computer, a local Dropbox folder will be created and it will sync with your account online. All the files in your account will download automatically to the folder, and any changes you make in the folder will sync back to your account online.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @eruu, I hope you're doing well.

Let's start with what Rich suggested. Do you have the app installed to the device as we speak?

If so, what is its syncing status? 

Let me know more. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

eruu
Explorer | Level 4

Hello! Thank you for your response! I have been working with Dropbox for many years. I rarely need to share folders so am confused about how to get the shared ones to show up.
Please see attached screenshots.
One is of the dropbox.com showing all of my folders. The other is of my desktop. And then finally my syncing status. I feel that I am missing an important piece here...probably (hopefully) an easy fix.my account on Dropbox. com--where I created a new shared folder this morningmy account on Dropbox. com--where I created a new shared folder this morningMy desktopMy desktopWhat I see when I check on my syncing status.What I see when I check on my syncing status.

eruu
Explorer | Level 4

Hello! Thank you for your response! I appreciate you taking time to help me out!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @eruu, thanks for the speedy response and the added info! 

Can you check if the file name has a space at the end of the name? If I were you, I'd try to rename it using the website, and check if that'll help it sync. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

eruu
Explorer | Level 4

I certainly will check that. Thank you for the suggestion and the link to read more about file naming.
Fingers crossed.

eruu
Explorer | Level 4

So....I discovered the problem.

I have TWO dropboxes! Only one of them is syncing with my desktop.
Would you know if it is possible to sync both accounts?
Thanks again.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @eruu, that makes sense as to why the content wasn't syncing. 

You can only use up to two Dropbox accounts on the app, if you pair them first. 

In order for that to happen, one account should be an individual one (Basic, Plus, Professional) and the other one would need to have a Business subscription.

If you have any other questions, let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    eruu Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?