cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green tick with white backround

Green tick with white backround

Andy S.6
Helpful | Level 5

I've been a user and paid subscriber to Dropbox for about a decade. I use Drobox for sharing my files across multiple devices and occasionally for sharing files with other people who don't always have Dropbox accounts. I don't work as part of an organisation so I don't use any of the team or business related features. I often recommend people use Dropbox over other cloud storage as I've always been impressed with Dropbox.

I've just started seeing the normal green background tick replaced with a white background tick on multiple files and folders. According to the help pages these white background ticks can only appear on folders yet I have them on multiple files.

The help page says this green tick with a white background and green circle 'Contains files that are both available offline and online-only. A white circle with a green outline and a green checkmark can only appear on a folder. It means the folder contains a mix of files and folders that are ”available offline” and “online-only”.'

Looking at the files it looks like some of these are files I've previously shared with other people but that doesn’t match the description here. My recolection is the shared folders had a different icon but that seems to have changed.

What would be nice would be for a company to be consistent with their icons rather that occasionally going for a total redesign just because someone has said it's fashionable to have a new look. If you have to have a new look please, at least, keep the basic symbolism consistent with the past for the sake of your long term loyal customers. When you do release an update please also release an update of the help files as the statement that 'A white circle with a green outline and a green checkmark can only appear on a folder' is not true as I have it all over my files.

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Andy S.6, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you attach a screenshot showing the sync icon you're getting on the files and folders in your Dropbox folder on your machine?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rusdom
Collaborator | Level 9

I had the same issue and reached out to Dropbox help. The below explanation was included in the response:

-----------------------------

[Dropbox help response]

We’ve recently updated our sync icons to give you a more accurate idea of what sync state your files and folders are in. For example:

• A file with the available offline icon rusdom_0-1659129394325.png

green background with a white tick) means that the file is downloaded to your PC/Mac. Files in this state have been made available offline by right clicking the file and selecting Make available offline.
  • A file with the available icon ( rusdom_1-1659129394325.png

white background with a green tick), means that the file is downloaded to your PC/Mac. Files in this state have been made available by opening the file with a double click or using a 3rd party app.
  • A file with the online-only icon ( rusdom_2-1659129394324.png

grey background with a white cloud), means that the file is online-only and is merely a placeholder file which takes up close to zero bytes on your PC/Mac

A folder’s sync icon will depend on what files are contained within that folder. For example:

• If a folder contains at least 1 online-only file then the folder’s sync icon will be online-only rusdom_3-1659129394326.png

• If a folder contains zero online-only files and at least 1 available file then its sync icon will be the available icon rusdom_4-1659129394326.png

• If a folder contains only available offline files then its sync icon will be available offline rusdom_5-1659129394503.png

This recent change removes crucial functionality and makes working with Dropbox a lot harder. I don't care to know if a file is available offline because I opened it, or if it's available offline because I clicked the available offline option. I don't know what benefit knowing that distinction is meant to give me. But daily I need to quickly at a glance see which out of hundreds of root folders have any "available offline" files in them, and I need to see which root folders don't. The old icon system worked so beautifully for that. Now I have to search through thousands of sub-folders individually to see if they contain any "available offline" files or not.

I hope all the users speaking up about this can help Dropbox revert back to the previous system.

Andy S.6
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay, thanks for coming back with this info. It seems I was wrong about the icon being related to shared files as other replies have pointed out. I've also found these green and white backgrounds on files I havn't shared. They are not at all intuitive.

What I want is that Dropbox works the way it used to when I became a subscriber ten years ago.

• I want ALL of my files to be available offline.
  • AND I want ALL of my file to be stored on my Dropbox space so all my other PCs that are connected to my account also have ALL of my files.
  • I don't want any of them to be available only offline becase that's no use to me if I need to access a file when I don't have Internet access.

How do I do that?

Rich
Super User II

@Andy S.6 wrote:

What I want is that Dropbox works the way it used to when I became a subscriber ten years ago.

Nothing has changed with how Dropbox handles your files when they're stored on your device. If they aren't already, just mark all of your files as Available Offline and everything will operate as it always has.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Regarding your comments, if you mark a file as offline, then it will be local on your machine, but also visible on the site since it would be synced. 

Your third comment contradicts the first one, so I assume you meant for them to be online only?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rusdom
Collaborator | Level 9

@Jay, do you know if Dropbox will be addressing the broader issue over on this thread, where the topic is gathering support? 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Can-we-have-the-old-syncing-icons-back/idc-p/617172#M7...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rusdom Collaborator | Level 9
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
    Andy S.6 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?