cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

afrey25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I installed the latest MacOS update (Monterey 12.3) on my MacBook pro last night and now Dropbox is almost continuously syncing files and sucking my CPU usage. Fans are running almost constantly, and battery life has been dreadful as a result.

Anyone else experiencing this?

All my files are fully synced so I have no clue what files Dropbox keeps re-syncing and why over and over again. I've rebooted, turned Dropbox on and off. Pretty much everything I can think of other than deleting and reinstalling the desktop app. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

93 Replies 93

BradR
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

Was working fine until Monday, 1/2/2023. I tried to set a large folder to be offline available. Was taking way too long, so I instead removed it via selective sync. Folder is gone from my local machine, but Dropbox shows "syncing" and fileproviderd is at 100%. Is this going to work itself out or do I need to intervene ? 

BradR
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Killed Dropbox. Killed iCloud drive. Killed Google Drive. Restarted.

Now I have DropboxFileProvider varying between 2% and 120% AND fileproviderd at 104%.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @BradR, I'd be more than happy to help! 

Can you clarify the version of the desktop app that you have installed on the device? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BradR
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan

I'm running v164.4.7914.

Thanks

Brad

BradR
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I think I cleared this up. There were a lot of issues with Time Machine snapshots for some reason - put fileproviderd at 100%+ and Dropbox at "syncing". Ran a Time Machine backup... and both problems went away. 

virkot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. The process "dropboxfileprovider" is constantly using between 90-100% cpu. Now I regret updating dropbox. I'm on an M1 Macbook Pro and dropbox is the only app that is making my computer uncomfortably warm. Any solutions?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @virkot, thanks for posting here today! 

In regards to your high CPU usage on your device, have you tried contacting our Support, about this? I'd highly suggest that you open a ticket with them.

Feel free to send me back the ticket number reference, if you do end up contacting them.

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gavineadie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

After installing today's Ventura 13.3 (22E252) update, Dropbox (v171.3.6099) is behaving badly.

* "fileproviderd" is using 125% of my M1 MacBook Pro ..

* the processes "Dropbox Helper (Renderer)" and "Dropbox Helper (GPU)" are the 2nd and 4th in the CPU usage list (Spotlight is 3rd, as it often is reindexing after an install).  All three of those have dropped to very little CPU usage after initially being very busy.

* all file system actions are very slow (saving a small, non-Dropbox related, text file, with BBEdit, took over half a minute)

* I rebooted my Mac to see if these were "first use after an install" problems, but they remain.

* The Dropbox menu dropdown panel still shows "starting" after 40 minutes.

If I'm the only person experiencing this behavior, then I'll work on it myself.  But if it's systemic, I'll stop wasting my time, "leave beta", and wait for an update.

Now, after an hour, Dropbox is still "starting" .. BBEdit just took 40 seconds to save a 20-character file

I just checked an M2 Mini also updated to Ventura 13.3 (22E252), but with the old Dropbox, and it's behavior is normal.

If more information is needed, or I can help resolve this .. please ask me.  I've been a Mac developer for 20+ years!

gavineadie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

With Ventura 13.3, I have the same issue with "fileproviderd" using 125% CPU on an M1 MacBook Pro.  I restarted the laptop about 75 minutes ago and the Dropbox menu panel still reports "starting".  (Dropbox v171.3.6099)

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @gavineadie, sorry to hear about this.

Could you send us a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your menu bar at the moment? 

If you're running an antivirus on your computer, you can also try disabling it temporarily. 

In any case, please keep us posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?