cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

afrey25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I installed the latest MacOS update (Monterey 12.3) on my MacBook pro last night and now Dropbox is almost continuously syncing files and sucking my CPU usage. Fans are running almost constantly, and battery life has been dreadful as a result.

Anyone else experiencing this?

All my files are fully synced so I have no clue what files Dropbox keeps re-syncing and why over and over again. I've rebooted, turned Dropbox on and off. Pretty much everything I can think of other than deleting and reinstalling the desktop app. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

93 Replies 93

giryaev
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem. At the same time, I noticed that for files that were in the status of "online only", now the size is not shown.

JayhawkRaven
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am having trouble with my iMac slowing down to the point of being unusable.  Seemingly without warning I will get beachballs while I am working. Sometimes I can switch to another app which seems to work fine, and sometimes it seems to drag down the entire system. 

According to Activity monitor, the CPU usage is frequently very high, and frequently up near or even over 100%.  

I boot from an external SSD.  I have my dropbox files stored on another external SSD.  That SSD is large enough to hold all of my dropbox files.  I have Smart Sync turned on.  I tried to turn it off but a kernel panic hit when I started to do that.  Maybe it was unrelated, I don't know.  Is there a downside to turning Smart Sync off?

Any other ideas?

musicnote325
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue as well, also Macbook Pro with Monterey 12.3 and Dropbox v144.4.4491.

afrey25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan It appears a lot of us are having this issue. Have you or Dropbox been able to look into this further? 

dglasser13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am also experiencing this issue since update MacOS.

MacBook Pro 15", Intel i7

MacOS Monterey version 12.3

Dropbox v144.4.4491

JayhawkRaven
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As I mentioned, I have my dropbox folder on an external SSD that is large enough to hold all of my files.  I turned Smart Sync off yesterday, and I have not had the extreme problems I was having before.  That is, the computer has not frozen.

Activity Monitory shows the CPU% has been hovering around 100% for the last hour, and I have seen it as high as 237.5% in the past few minutes.  I have not added anything to the dropbox folder, so I have no idea what it might be thinking about.

Lyle M.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've got a 16-inch MBP 2021 w/M1 Pro CPU and am not sure if I'm on the beta or not but my version is 145.3.4888. I'm not experiencing any of these issues on 12.3 but I noticed that everyone in this thread is using version 144? I keep all my files local which is another difference.

dglasser13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I activated beta software (log onto the website and opt in under settings), and my system updated to v.145.3.4888. In the few hours since then there seems to be less Dropbox-related CPU activity, my fan isn't on all the time, and my battery is holding a charge for longer.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed this addressed the issue. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days of heavier use and see how it goes.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello everyone, happy Tuesday! 

First of all, thank you for reporting this, I appreciate your time. 

If all of you can open a ticket about what you mentioned, that'd be awesome. If you're having any trouble doing so, I'm here to help you open one, just give me a shout. 

In any case, feel free to reply back to me with your ticket number, so I can locate it on our system. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

George17
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

thank you for your reply. Please do not get me wrong, but I am paying already too much for Dropbox. I have clearly stated my issue here already, not only myself, but several others. Why do all of us have to raise separate tickets for this, instead of this entire thread being forwarded to the relevant team?

Thank you and best wishes,

George

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gio18 Explorer | Level 4
    Arkadiy K. Helpful | Level 7
    LaraRebooted Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?