cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

afrey25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I installed the latest MacOS update (Monterey 12.3) on my MacBook pro last night and now Dropbox is almost continuously syncing files and sucking my CPU usage. Fans are running almost constantly, and battery life has been dreadful as a result.

Anyone else experiencing this?

All my files are fully synced so I have no clue what files Dropbox keeps re-syncing and why over and over again. I've rebooted, turned Dropbox on and off. Pretty much everything I can think of other than deleting and reinstalling the desktop app. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

93 Replies 93

JohnLane02
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

exactly. This is a known issue that was months in the making. 

Jason B.25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Having the same issue on an M1 Macbook Pro running 12.3 withDropbox v144.4.4491.

JayhawkRaven
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

George17 and JohnLane02, Dropbox knows there is an issue and they do not know how to fix it or do not care to fix it.  Rather than have the issue discussed on the board they would prefer that we each open up a ticket, where someone will guide us through scripted series of steps ranging from 'make sure your computer is turned on' to 'make sure your software is up to date.'  They will then send us through a painstaking step-by-step process to rule out every other thing that could possibly be causing the problem.  During this process some folks will give up, and others will find the answer on their own, and some will not find an answer, but it will take a week to get through that process.  But they won't be posting about the problem anymore, so things will look better.

I have turned off Smart Sync and store all the files locally.  This has stopped the spinning beachballs of death, but Dropbox is still using a minimum 60% of CPU usage.

I have used Dropbox for several years, but I am starting to look for better alternatives.

Lyle M.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Try turning on the beta testing and upgrade to DropBox 145 to see if that helps.

sstm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

same problem, dropbox version 145.5, Mac OS 12.2.1 Monterey 

hope to find a solution soon, I have to quit dropbox to reduce overheating and cpu usage,

Lyle M.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm running Monterey 12.3 and DropBox 146.3.4795 without any noticeable issues. If it makes any difference I store all my files locally. I share document files (Scrivener) with Windows 10 desktops without any issues and go back and forth between operating systems. The only problem I've ever had is that you have to wait long enough for DropBox to sync the files as it has always seemed slower than necessary to do that.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @sstm, welcome to our Community! 

Can you share with me the app's syncing status at the moment? Also, when did that start happening on your end? 

Also, @Lyle M., it seems you're using the Beta version of our app, which could be contributing to this type of behavior. 

Can you go into your account settings on the Dropbox website and turn Early releases off. After that, please install one of the stable builds of the Dropbox application.

Keep me posted on what you find, guys!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MarcelN1987
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Got the same problem since the March update due to native use of M1. Got this issue on my M1 Mac mini running the latest app and macOS version and also on my Intel-based MacBook Air. Says "all files up to date" and soon keeps syncing without any changes made to the data. I am using Smart Sync too. My guess: It keeps scanning for changes since the March update and something changed along the way must be causing this.

From what I've read, people using Smart Sync got this issue and those storing locally not. And I opened up a ticket already. Only received a step by step instruction on how to reinstall Dropbox ... 

nathanlw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just to add I'm also finding this issue with constant syncing, high CPU, when no changes are being made to any shared files. 

MacOS Monterey 12.3 (21E230). No connected apps or anything exotic.

Paused syncing indefinitely as a workaround for now but obviously this isn't ideal.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MarcelN1987, did you reply to the support ticket regarding this matter to let them know if the steps helped?

@nathanlw, what version of the Dropbox desktop application are you running currently?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gio18 Explorer | Level 4
    Arkadiy K. Helpful | Level 7
    LaraRebooted Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?