cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the location on my computer for a folder that someone shared with me?

How do I change the location on my computer for a folder that someone shared with me?

IT Guy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The listed locations in selective sync are checkboxes.  How do I specify the local location (outside normal dropbox) for a folder that was shared with me?  Also since the folder was shared with me from someone who pays for storage, will this go against their storage plan or mine?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
@IT Guy wrote:

How do I specify the local location (outside normal dropbox) for a folder that was shared with me?

You can't. Dropbox will only sync files and folders that are located within the Dropbox folder. You can move a file or folder outside of the Dropbox folder, but it will stop syncing and before removed from your Dropbox account.

Also since the folder was shared with me from someone who pays for storage, will this go against their storage plan or mine?

Yours. See here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
@IT Guy wrote:

How do I specify the local location (outside normal dropbox) for a folder that was shared with me?

You can't. Dropbox will only sync files and folders that are located within the Dropbox folder. You can move a file or folder outside of the Dropbox folder, but it will stop syncing and before removed from your Dropbox account.

Also since the folder was shared with me from someone who pays for storage, will this go against their storage plan or mine?

Yours. See here.

IT Guy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Rich.  All the answers you left were NOT the one I was hoping for.  I guess Dropbox won't meet my needs.

Thanks for your response, apparently community support is the only support Dropbox offers.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

IT Guy Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?