cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the file name, when using a File Request?

How to change the file name, when using a File Request?

j0r0b0
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I belong to a photo club that has us send submissions to their dropbox file. I use an iPhone and want to be able to submit a photo. How do I put in the name of the photo in place of that long file name that shows up.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@j0r0b0 wrote:
that’s what I don’t understand. Where can I put that information in before it’s finally submitted?

There is no option to rename a file or enter file information in that process. You would need to find a way to name/rename the file on your device before you upload it. That's something unrelated to Dropbox. Perhaps see if there's a way to rename a file in your photo library, or perhaps make a copy of the files elsewhere on your device and rename it there.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @j0r0b0, how are you today?

Did they ask you to submit content using a File Request, or using a different way, such as a shared link, or a shared folder? 

You can't change the name of the file after you submit it in a File Request. But have you tried renaming the file locally on your mobile, before uploading it? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

j0r0b0
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
What happens is this:
1- I click on the link which is sent that opens up dropbox which access the photo club account.
2- I click on the link for adding files.
3- I choose the photo library, which is on my iPhone. The only pictures in there are usually .JPG files.
4- I select a photo and then select upload
5- I see a long file name similar to this:
E619FB54-C533-41D0-B20C-E9F3CD2213…
6- it doesn’t let me put it in the actual name that I have given the photo.
7- that’s what I don’t understand. Where can I put that information in before it’s finally submitted?
Thank you

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@j0r0b0 wrote:
that’s what I don’t understand. Where can I put that information in before it’s finally submitted?

There is no option to rename a file or enter file information in that process. You would need to find a way to name/rename the file on your device before you upload it. That's something unrelated to Dropbox. Perhaps see if there's a way to rename a file in your photo library, or perhaps make a copy of the files elsewhere on your device and rename it there.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    j0r0b0 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?