cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having wrong time-stamps on files. Can you help?

I am having wrong time-stamps on files. Can you help?

David R.98
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The last-saved times for files listed in Dropbox.com are wrong. For example, a file on my computer (Windows 7) says the last save time was 1:51 PM. The version in Dropbox says 12:51 pm on the same date. I suspect that Dropbox is not adhering to Daylight Savings Time. I am in New York State, timezone UTC-5; we are on EDT. In my Dropbox.com settings, the item "Automatically detect timezone (GMT-05:00)" is checked. What is wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David R.98
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi JaneA, 

It appears to be completely resolved. I didn't change any settings on my computer. Possibly it was due to editing some files that I opened in Dropbox using Word online when I was on my tablet. Maybe the Word servers have different times. But then, I don't know why they didn't sync to my Windows PC with the same times, regardless. Anyway, it seems to be working normally now. Thanks again. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @David R.98

Please accept my apologies for getting back to you in delay, let's look into this matter together! 

As an initial troubleshooting step, please ensure that you're running the latest version of your OS & the Dropbox application on your phone. For your convenience, I’m attaching the links below: 

If you're running the most updated version on both, then you may look at your Camera's settings. Please keep in mind that maybe your camera's time settings aren't registering your local time for your photo and video timestamps. As a result timestamps may be offset from your local time by a few hours. 

Hope this helps you clarify! 

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

David R.98
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That doesn’t address my issue. My files that are synced from my PC (Windows 7) to Dropbox have the wrong times, as noted in my original post. I'm not sure why you thought I was referring to my phone. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @David R.98

Please accept my apologies for my misunderstanding, it was my initial impression that maybe you were importing your Camera Uploads using your desktop, so maybe the issue was associated to the photo metadata. 

Because this is an account-specific issue, I'd have to ask you to raise a ticket with our team, since we'll need to investigate a specific example and see how the upload is recorded on our end and what it looks like to you. I'd be glad to follow-up on your request, if you let me know a ticket ID here, so that I look up for your request internally and assign it to a team member. 

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,
JaneA 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

David R.98
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi JaneA, 

Thank you for understanding my issue. I opened a support ticket, #6272963. I look forward to hearing from your team. 

David R.98
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, this is strange. Today there doesn't seem to be a problem any more. Maybe there was a lag in the Dropbox servers somewhere. Now the times match up. I'm not sure what changed, but everything appears to be working as expected now. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @David R.98

First of all, thanks for your cooperation and following-up on our official support channel. I appreciate the time you've devoted on clarifying this!

You've mentioned that this has been resolved as of today, though I'd just like to ask you whether you've changed any setting locally on your computer in the meantime (just for future reference). 

Please keep me updated here! 

Thanks, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

David R.98
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi JaneA, 

It appears to be completely resolved. I didn't change any settings on my computer. Possibly it was due to editing some files that I opened in Dropbox using Word online when I was on my tablet. Maybe the Word servers have different times. But then, I don't know why they didn't sync to my Windows PC with the same times, regardless. Anyway, it seems to be working normally now. Thanks again. 

HappyPing
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the same issue, the only difference is my last save time was 1:51 PM on my PC, while the version in Dropbox says 2:51 pm on the same date. I am here in Knoxville, TN. Any suggestions for resolving this issue will be appreciated.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @HappyPing, thanks for posting on our Community!

Can you please send us a screenshot of where you're spotting this so that we can have a visual too?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    HappyPing Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?