cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Uploads

Improving Uploads

KevinAtDropbox
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone!

My name is Kevin and I lead a team that's looking to make it easier to upload files to Dropbox. We are looking at the Dropbox website and mobile apps (both iOS and Android) to try and make uploading better in the following ways:

• Reliability: less likely to fail
  • Performance: speed things up so you wait less
  • Usability: give more information during upload so you know how it's going
  • And much more.

I'd love to hear from all of you about your experiences with uploading content. What is working well and what is not working well? What are some of the features you wish were available to make uploading easier? What frustrates you? Don't hold back. Here to listen and engage.

25 Replies 25

Fourwinds
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Kevin,

I mainly use Dropbox to create backups of all my data stored on the PC. Occasionally I delete memory-intensive image and audio files on my PC to free up hard disk space - but I know the original files are still on my Dropbox.

Over time, new and updated files will accumulate on my PC. Which settings do I have to choose for the next upload so that only these (new and updated) files (and not the entire content of the hard disk) are uploaded? Is there something like an upstream comparison, as it is offered by the program "Total Commander" under the command "Synchronize directories"? TIA.

Best regards, Chris

Rlynn71
New member | Level 2
The transcription hub link won't load and says error.

jonsno
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Kevin! As a user who utilizes api and automation heavily I keep running into file name length issues a lot and have to modify a lot of my scripts to handle it upfront. Will it be possible to achieve parity with google drive in terms of file name length in the subsequent improvements

Brain Toomer
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Kevin,

Uploading the documents folder from laptop containing 14000 plus files in 20 plus folders, at the conclusion of the upload there were over 500 errors (files that failed to upload). I saw "try again" next to each failed file but can't find any option to re-attempt an upload of the failed files specifically. Then the box showing the upload details, including the failed uploads, disappeared and now I can't even try to determine exactly which files failed or why, much less attempt to upload them again. And I don't want to re-upload the entire documents folder. For one thing, it took hours. And I don't know what caused the files that failed to upload and it seems almost certain the same thing would happen again. 

Any help much appreciated!!

Chippyme
Explorer | Level 3

Rather than Improving Uploads how about deleting a Dropbox of files? As the name indicates Dropbox is for files to drop in & take out not a permanent backup. If that was the case the name should be Backupbox. , I have used all the delete instructions to remove the contents of my Dropbox, with no change, the storage is still full. I tried uninstalling dropbox & reinstalling still not change box still showing full. I have deleted the backup file still no change How do I delete all my old unwanted files in my dropbox???

Fourwinds
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Kevin,

rather than receiving all these silly Dropbox badges (newcomer badge, conversation starter badge, joining in badge, supportive badge) and rankings (new member / level 2, explorer / level 3) I'd like to get an answer to my question. Or does my request sound too complex?

Brgds, Chris

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Fourwinds Explorer | Level 4
    Chippyme Explorer | Level 3
    Brain Toomer Helpful | Level 5
    jonsno Explorer | Level 4
    Rlynn71 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?