cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InDesign won't open InDesign files nor import images that are online-only

InDesign won't open InDesign files nor import images that are online-only

Anne-Marie a.
Explorer | Level 3

I know Dropbox has pushed a few alerts on my desktop that "they're aware there's an issue" with applications not being able to access online-only files; and the workaround is to use the Finder to open them.

The alert says that they're working on a fix.  I'm looking for the thread/s discussing the issue so I can get an idea of when it'll be fixed. Anyone know?

This kind of cripples our workflow which used to be so smooth. We have to make huge folders of archived image files "Available offline" just so we can occasionally import images into our InDesign projects from there. 

MS Word can open online-only Word files from the app, and ID used to be able to do the same, but now ID can't open online-only ID files, we have to  cancel out of the Place dialog and hunt for it in the Finder and open/make offline first. 

FWIW we're using Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) and Adobe CC 2022.

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Anne-Marie a., thanks for messaging today.

Could you confirm the version of the Dropbox desktop application you're running? 

You can do this by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aelong1
New member | Level 2

I am still having this problem - is there a fix for this?

sparkster
Helpful | Level 7

I have the same question. The Dropbox announcement doesn't even acknowledge the problem. I have sent this screen recording www.dropbox.com/s/5lmtck47lk1cowt/Dropbox%20Big%20Sur%20InDesign.mov?dl=0  to support team but heave not been provided with a satisfactory response. All I get is a standard request to manually go through and locally sync linked files to fix the problem, but as you know, this would be very time consuming, and wasn't a required step when on Big Sur. It's a Monterey issue. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sparkster, happy Tuesday! 

You mentioned, you've contacted our support team about this, right? Would you be able to send me the ticket number reference, so I can locate it on our system? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sparkster
Helpful | Level 7
Ticket #17115927

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sparkster, thanks for the ticket ID. I've gone ahead and prioritized it to expedite matters on your behalf.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

sparkster
Helpful | Level 7

Still busted

sparkster
Helpful | Level 7

Proof that InDesign was open ing zero-size cloud only files in Big Sur. This doesn't work in Monterey. Not sure if Adobe or Dropbox prob, but leaning towards it being an Adobe issue ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds6ly4r1k0od2ud/Dropbox%20Big%20Sur%20InDesign%204x%20speed.mp4?dl=0

Ed67
New member | Level 2

Hi 

Was this resolved? Having the same problem with an 'IMPORT FAILED' message when trying to update images within InDesign. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

NYCdesigner New member | Level 2
    TiltCreative Helpful | Level 6
    aelong1 New member | Level 2
    Ed67 New member | Level 2
    sparkster Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?