cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with drag and drop; using chrome browser

Issues with drag and drop; using chrome browser

MBarker202
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all;

I have always used the drag and drop feature to add in files to the DB folder. Over the recent months, this feature has become erratic at when it chooses to work and when it wont. Some areas of the screen sometimes work better (ie bottom of the screen below the list of files already there) and other occasions it wont matter where I drag and drop to - it just wont 'engage' the process (and I don't even get the green and white window at the top telling me to drop files to upload).. it just will not work,

I've 

- refreshed the browser window

- cleared my cache and history

- checked my add ins - I only use flashblock and adblocker plus - which have never given any issue in the past..

suggestions please?

perhaps this is to do with the latest version of chrome browser?

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MBarker202; welcome to our Community!

I'm not sure if this relates to your browser yet; could you check if this is also happening on an incognito window with no extensions or plugins running?

Apart from that, do you get any better results on other browsers?

While we're at it, does the upload button work fine for you or are you having issues with this as well?

Keep us posted on your findings and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MBarker202
Explorer | Level 4

Hey there Walter;

please see below:

Hi @MBarker202; welcome to our Community!

thank you. much appreciated.

I'm not sure if this relates to your browser yet; could you check if this is also happening on an incognito window with no extensions or plugins running? 

- Of course go to test and its working fine atm. I tried with a regular window and an incognito window, and both come up with the drag and drop prompt immediately when clicking and dragging - of course.. so will wait till it does it again (or doesn't do it in this case) and I will try an incognito window to see if thats the issue..  

Apart from that, do you get any better results on other browsers?

Yes - when it was not working anywhere in chrome I navigated over to an internet explorer window (that was painfull) and it worked there. . 

While we're at it, does the upload button work fine for you or are you having issues with this as well?

-Yes, upload button works fine, however one of the file types I upload is a shortcut URL to posted (private) youtube content; and dropbox has this funny habit of transforming the file into something else when I use the 'upload' button - where click and drag doesnt do this - it just uploads the link the same as I have created it (another weird DB little quirk)

Keep us posted on your findings and we'll take it from there.

Sure, will do. cheers

MBarker202
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter;

please see video / capture of fault replicated just now.. And you can see in the capture that I also bring up IE and it works immediately. Given its faulting again I'll try switching into incognito mode again to test.. 

you should be able to view the file HERE:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfhnxm3vqeye0rt/drobox%20issue%20capture.mp4?dl=0

MBarker202
Explorer | Level 4

Added: incognito window makes no difference. (just tried)

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screencast @MBarker202!

Could you just confirm for us which version of the Chrome browser you have installed at the moment?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MBarker202
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne;

Sure thing. 

Chrome info as follows:

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @MBarker202; how are you today?

I'm sorry to jump in here, I just wanted to see if issue could be caused by the total length of your file-paths somehow. 

Do you get any different results for other files of yours, preferably with shorter paths (i.e. smaller names)? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MBarker202
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the suggestion @Walter - I will try this next time its not working correctly and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers

MBarker202
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter - You may be onto something here.. it loads the mp3 file in fine, but can't seem to load in the URL link/s I want to drop in.. but I can do this in IE?

Seems to be some kind of coding issue between chrome and DB?

I also noted previously that if I add the file in by navigation, (as apposed to click and drag) it changes the file to some weird unusable format (no longer a link).. so this issue may be above me fixing then? something for DB to investigate (or google?) 

But it only does it sometimes??  weird.. 

suggestions pls

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MBarker202 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?