cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems placing images

Problems placing images

designhive1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

We've never had a problem with Dropbox in the past, but this is now the 3rd time we've had to contact support in 2 weeks with problems. For the past 6 years, I've run dropbox on my MacBook by keeping files online (using the cloud icon). I went on holiday for a week, came back yesterday and had to get an urgent file off to print, which was an InDesign file with links that needed updating. I went to click the update icon and got an error message. It said, 'Import failed'. I couldn't update and I couldn't replace all the images. 

I then discovered that if I changed the file to 'Make available offline', that it let me update the link in InDesign, but I had to find every single link individually that were in the brochure (which are scattered across a huge image library) to then update them. 

This can't surely be the new way you are doing things? The reason I've always kept everything online is because it takes up too much space on my mac. My last mac couldn't cope the entire Dropbox being available on my mac. It's always worked perfectly. Has something happened and I've done something wrong all of a sudden or has something changed your end?

Kind Regards

M

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @designhive1, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

It appears that you may be affected by a known issue with the Dropbox desktop app which causes online-only files not to open as expected, because the automatic download of the file is not triggered as it should be. 

To workaround the issue you can make the file available offline by using the following steps:

• From Finder, you can simply double click on the file

OR

1. Right-click (or control-click) the file you wish to open.
  2. Select Make available offline from the sub-menu.
  3. You should now be able to open your file without issue from the application

Note that our web and mobile experiences are unaffected by this issue while we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

For more details you can visit this Help Center article.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

designhive1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Do you know when this will be fixed?

Regards

Mel

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @designhive1, sorry to jump in here! 

At the moment we don't have a specific timeframe, however I can reassure you that our team is actively working on fully supporting macOS 12.3 (Monterey) and higher in the future. 

If you need anything else, let me know.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

makone4
Explorer | Level 4

Did you not read OP's message? Your suggested workaround is exactly what he/she said was the problem.

ImpactGroup
Explorer | Level 3

Same issue here. Since the latest update, I now have to find each link in the InDesign file and make it available offline manually. We work on many big newsletters and pull files in from everywhere. Some files may have up to 200 links - takes forever to find and download them one-at-a-time. For new jobs, we're packaging all links into one folder and then just have to make that folder available offline but for existing jobs it's a nightmare. DB, please fix this asap!

designhive1
Explorer | Level 3

I would really like to know when this is going to be resolved. Your workaround is a complete nightmare with large projects and it feels a little like you are not intended to resolve this issue at all. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, currently there are no updates as of yet, I recommend checking this help center article for any new information that may arise in future.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ZAINA-INTL
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

Wondering if this issue has been solved as last reply dates a few months ago. 

Indeed, it's a very frustrating issue when working with InDesign files that have hundreds of links.

Currently running on OS Ventura 13.0 wit InDesign 17.4

Many thanks in advance

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ZAINA-INTL, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that there's no update on this issue at the moment, but we'll make sure to keep you posted if anything changes. 

In the meantime, we'd suggest keeping an eye out for any prompts on the desktop app on your computer to update to the latest desktop app for Mac OS

I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

james43 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    ZAINA-INTL Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    designhive1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?