cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: STOP Dropbox from backing up external drive

STOP Dropbox from backing up external drive

sanchmo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I made the mistake of accepting a request from Dropbox to back up an external drive plugged into my Mac. I didn't stop to think the files in that drive were going to be huge video files that should NOT be backed up to Dropbox. How do I stop the backup of that external drive? The help section says go to the preferences of the Mac Dropbox app and uncheck folders I don't want to be synced. There is NO such option. The only option is to uncheck something about set up notifications for new external drives.

There was another help suggestion  that suggested right clicking "the backup" and pausing it. WHAT backup?? I don't see the external drive listed anywhere in my Dropbox folder, and right clicking the external drive icon on my desktop doesn't show any Dropbox options.

How do I stop this backup without disabling ALL backups?? 

Thank you for any help on this.... 

22 Replies 22

nordlight
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I still have the same issue. I've deleted the external drive from dropbox, unistalled the app, restarted computer, installed app again and the sync of the external drive is waiting to resume. This is so annoying as I need to backup important files. Please advise on how to get dropbox working like normal again 

papamarcus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is really really annoying. I should have learned my lesson by now about using beta features.

Nortutski
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. I accepted the request to back up my external hard drive without thinkint twice, and now mt dropbox is syncing nearly 1tb of photos unneccarily. Which will take ages and would take too much space from the dropbox. I did the mentioned steps already: Removed the folder where the files are synced to from the dropbox, disconnected the external hard drive, logged in and out, removed the whole app and installed it again. And STILL dropbox is syncing/trying to sync over 22k files. Even when the hard drive is not connected to the computer and there is no folder in the dropbox where it would sync the files to. How is this possible and how can I undo this?

Thank you.

jpenha
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Lately, when I connect an external drive to my Mac to back up to Time Machine, Dropbox asks me if I want to back up the drive to Dropbox. (The drive is NOT in my Dropbox folder.) I click NO... but the result is that somehow Dropbox disconnects my wifi! How do I keep Dropbox away from my external drives.

Dr0pb0x
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The external drive backup and its dialog screens are intentionally designed as they are so that it's hard for users to keep Dropbox from trying to backup complete harddrives. This helps forcing basic plan users to buy more space, because freeing up the space they have has intentionally been made annoyingly hard and for those that just give up and move to a less exploitive cloud storage service, now at least dropbox has a copy of your external drive. The Dropbox app not supporting 4K resolution displays on Windows 10/11 (cannot open settings on a 4K display) is probably also not an accident.

thefootball
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You should be able to see your external drive, inside your Dropbox folder. Can you confirm if this is the case here?

You can remove your external drive backup in the same way that you would any other Dropbox folder, by deleting it.

When you delete an external drive backup from Dropbox, it simply deletes it from Dropbox, not from your external hard disk.

Can you give this a go?

Dendrial
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi. So i was having the same exact problem

When i connected my external HD i by mistake clicked the back up to drobox option and that thing started syncing and it would NOT STOP.

i tried all the stuff mentioned here but nothing worked, maybe because i didnt read it correctly. 

The advice to delete the external hard drive from your drop box folder is the correct way. But i understood this as going to my dropbox folder on my HD and deleting it from there. When i did that it would only delete the already synched files and recreate the folder with the files that still needed to be synched.

what did the trick, was going to the browser version of dropbox. Go to the "all files" (or all folders, dont know, mine is the german version so not sure what it would say in english). basically the main folder. AND THERE it had my external harddrive. Not with a folder symbol, but with a symbol of an external harddrive. Mine is called Transcend so i had a folder that said Transcend Backup (where the stuff was being synched into) and below that was Transcend with the symbol for an external HD. When i deleted that it would stop the sync process and not start it again. 

after that you delete the "transcend" back up folder and all stuff it dumped onto dropbox was gone...... 

man this cost my some nerves!!! 

JJade4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found the same thing.  Delete the external drive from your DropBox online, not locally, and those large files will disappear.

wordmuse
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I must have done something wrong, because when I deleted the external drive from within the web instance of Dropbox it deleted my local files! I am not happy.

When I installed my external drive, I don't recall a setting that said back up to Dropbox. The external drive was supposed to be my backup! If there was a setting on installing the external drive, it's my fault for not paying much closer attention. But the consequences are huge, and I am beyond frustrated.

The right way to do this would have been for me to be able to click the drive icon in the web interface and have an option to stop monitoring the source folder or drive. And when such a choice was implemented, I could then delete the files within Dropbox without it affecting any of my local files.

Lesson (a big lesson) learned. It's not the war in Ukraine or even dental problems, but it is very annoying, Dropbox.

Again - it's on me for not really thinking things through, backing up my files for temporary increased redundancy, before following the advice given here.  

I post this to let others know of my experience, which is different from what I've been reading here. Maybe I did something wrong - I don't know. But my advice: before you delete the drive from the web instance of Dropbox, back up your files so that if things go sideways, you're not hosed.

~ Bal

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone!

You should be able to find the steps on how to disable the external drive backup through the desktop application's preferences here.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?