cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps defaulting to read-only

Dropbox keeps defaulting to read-only

Joseph_whtrz
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I use Dropbox as my top level folder as an automatic backup for all my music work. On my last Windows 10 PC, this worked perfectly, however now on my new Windows 11 PC any time I try to render or record audio, I'm being told that Ableton can't find access the folder.

I'm assuming this is because its on Read Only - but I can't switch this off. It just comes back on again.

I've restarted, logged in and out, checked Defender access etc. Its driving me nuts. There are a few other posts on here with similar issues going back years, none with any actual solutions though. What can I do?

Windows 11 Home, Dropbox is in C:/Users/name/Dropbox. Like I say, this worked for years on my previous PC, and now it isn't.

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Joseph_whtrz, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The Dropbox folder shouldn't become read-only like the way you're describing. Could you provide the exact steps you're taking when saving files, and a screenshot showing the message Ableton is showing.

Are you able to add files to the Dropbox folder normally, and not via that program?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?