cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNC process on MacOS = no upload/download speeds view, No actual activity monitor

SYNC process on MacOS = no upload/download speeds view, No actual activity monitor

cwithe
New member | Level 2

Hi!

I forgot how it was on Windows, but I think better than on MacOS.

1. Upload / Download speed view:
I guess this is one of the very important details we need to have for our dedicated cloud service.

Not knowing when your files will be up or down, whether your internet speed is working as it should etc... IS A MUST! Unfortunately, Dropobx makes it very hard to see detail of this process.

Yes I know if I hover over Dropbox icon on the top of the screen I see sometimes speed, but not always. After I upgraded to MacOS Ventura, I can't even see that anymore. Dropbox people, COME ON?!??! It's not that hard man...
This is What I see when trying to see upload/download speeds:
Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 18.56.33.png

It's a joke, it doesn't even show the whole window...

2. Syncing details:
wtf is it syncing?

Unless you move file now from computer to dropbox, and there is no pre-syncing of other files going on, you can see clearly what it is syncing.

BUT,

say, I throw in several folders, of ie. 300gb...and I shut off computer in order to continue syncing tomorrow. When tomorrow comes, I can't see what is syncing anymore. Dropbox sync history just stops at random file. You cannot see what files is syncing now and what is already synced or whatever.

The information about general standard upload/download systems on Dropbox are a joke. It's like this is not a cliud syncing software at all, but some system stuff users don't need to know about.

This is what I see today, have no idea what,. where how long or whatever..

It is showing some random files that need to be sync and hisotry files from 5 days ago?! I put stuff to sync today... crazy
Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 19.02.51.png

Dear Dropbox,

I'm paying for business profile and this is so very frustrating man. 

Any plans to make Dropbox a bit more user friendly for professionals??

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cwithe, thanks for taking the time to post about this.

We really appreciate your feedback here, but let's see what we can find out about this.

When did you start having this issue? Was it after the app was updated to the latest version?

Have you tried restarting both the computer and the Dropbox app, to see if this behavior persists?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cwithe
New member | Level 2

Dear Hannah,

thank you for reaching back to me.

The uploading speed at the top of the screen, while hovering over Dropbox icon on MacOS, is sometimes on sometimes off. Now it is on. But even if it is on, It's not much of a help. It is showing for the last 12 hrs that i have 34-37min till end of upload (I started to upload 400gb yesterday). Now I understand it is showing upload remaining time for some segments, chunks or whatever of upload. But that does not tell me anything when the upload is going to be finished. It's so frustrating. I admit, google drive in browser is worse that this, but as for the other cloud service, I haven't seen such a bad UI regarding upload/download as Dropbox has. 

Again, It is very very foggy in Dropbox to analyse what Activity is going on from the UI you have now. I wouldn't care if it was free service or a service that has nothing to do with upload and download of files, large files, if it was not a cloud service for sharing, backup etc. files. But, It is!

I can'T tell my clients, or myself nothing to be sure of regarding file sharing etc... and that sucks big time.

cwithe
New member | Level 2

...to answer your questions,

It has been like this since I know Dropbox, for years or decade.. I love the unlimited storage and some UI...but this Upload/Download UI is terrible from the start. We, the users, WANT to see our speeds, how files transfers, what is in transfer and when it is going to be done etc.. It's a must!

I want to see which folders are being transferred, and where etc.. In Dropbox as it is now, you can't really see that or you need to keep on hovering pointer over Icon to get very limited and unclear information. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cwithe! I hope you’re doing well. 

I’d like to thank you for all the feedback you’ve shared with us so far; it’s really helpful. 

Just to clarify something though, do you see any progress on the number of files that are currently syncing or does syncing appear to be stuck? If you hover over the number of files that are trying to sync, are you seeing more details in regards to the syncing speed?

Finally, can you please check your app’s bandwidth settings, and see if there’s any kind of limitation?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    cwithe New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?