cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Share Links are NOT Working - Recipients receiving 404 message on their end from my Free Account

Share Links are NOT Working - Recipients receiving 404 message on their end from my Free Account.

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello - my Share-Links are not working properly.  They only work sometimes, and other times not. My recipients are receiving 404 messages after I create and send them a Dropbox folder share-link.

I've had multiple people take a look to troubleshoot, and it all appears to be on dropbox side.   Also, I work in tech, so pretty tech savvy, so very aware how to operate and troubleshoot technology, as are my recipients who took a look.

Please help fix this.  Seems to be on the dropbox end.

Rob

[removed per the Community's Guidelines]

32 Replies 32

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hannah—I just checked, I am not even able to create a share link in my own account anymore. Please help!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, I just sent you an email, so we can look into this internally.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I just emailed you back.  Thank you so much Hannah!

Graham
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @funkdawggg,

Thanks for using the Dropbox Community. I hope you are well today. I've just seen that you were having some issue using shared links and it sounds like it has been pretty frustrating for you so I just wanted to follow up and get an update on your situation. Could you let us know if the links are working again, and if so, have you been able to create any new working links? Likewise, if the issues are still ongoing or if there's anything we can help with just let us know.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Graham

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Graham - appears everything is working for me so far.  Thank you for checking in.

Do you have the ability to view what caused this?   In 10 years, I've never had that happen, and now the issue has passed.  I would just like to know the reasoning.  Just strange it happened at all, after zero issues in years and years!

Thank you,

Rob

Graham
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @funkdawggg,

Thanks for the response, it's great to hear that everything is working for you again! Unfortunately, I can't see what may have been at the root of this problem and I agree that it does seem unusual given the prolonged issue free period of time you have been using Dropbox. Hopefully, this will be an isolated incident and you can continue to use Dropbox without any incidents for another prolonged period. 

Thanks again for your patience in getting this resolved and for choosing Dropbox. Please let us know if you have any other feedback or if there is anything else we can help you with.

Have a great day!

Graham

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello - I'd like to reopen this case, as this issue has happened again.  @Graham @Hannah @Walter @Jay @Mark 

My Dropbox Share-Link Recipients are receiving an Error Message when attempting to click my Dropbox Share Links again.

I did receive an email from Dropbox this morning - see screenshot attached.    I've also included 4 additional Dropbox Storage screenshots of what I see on my end.

1.  The Dropbox Email (screenshot of email attached) states I am currently using 20.27GB out of 20.00GB, but on my end, in 4 different views of my Storage, I'm told I'm using:

- 15.9GB out of 18.3GB in my Dropbox Acct in my Brave Browser.

- 15.9GB out of 18.25GB on my Macbook Dropbox App.   

- 87.1% used out of 18.25GB from my iPhone Dropbox App

- 87% used out of 18.2GB in my Macbook Dropbox Settings > Preferences.

In other words, this email is giving me a bullcrap reading, and causing these Share Link Error Messages.

Also, the Dropbox Email states Excessive Traffic in my Account.   2 things:

1.  What does excessive traffic mean?   I still have not been able to identify its meaning.  There must be a hard definition if this is a rule, correct?

2. I know for a fact that there isn't much traffic on my share-links, but at the highest level, how am I to believe Dropbox Communication about Excessive Traffic if its telling me false information about my Account being over-limit???

Please help, and thank you,

Rob

--

Dropbox Acct - Macbook Storage Reading-edit.jpg

--

Dropbox Email 2-24-23.png

--

Dropbox Mac App -  Storage Screenshot-edit.jpg

--

Screenshot 2023-02-27 11.19.09.png

--

Dropbox Storage Screenshot - From Account Login on Brave Browser-edit.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @funkdawggg, thanks for the nudge here.

I just wanted to clarify that the email you received is referring to the sharing bandwidth limits your account has, and not your Dropbox space usage.

You can see more about the limits and info on traffic when sharing links in this article.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Hannah @Graham @Walter @Jay @Mark 

Yeah, I got your msg.   All this commotion over "Excessive Traffic" and now I have to pull down and re-upload the data?  Its a pain in the rear to manage shared data with Dropbox.   It's no surprise your company hasn't much grown much more.

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am still having trouble here.   My recipients are still recieve the 404 error message.   This happened a week ago or so, and I have since re-uploaded a new folder with new files, created a new share link, sent it to two users, and they are both getting the 404 error message (all yestereday).  

Is my Account now temporarily or permanently restricted?   If so, for how long or forever?

Thank you,

Rob

Need more support?