cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share Links are NOT Working - Recipients receiving 404 message on their end from my Free Account.

Share Links are NOT Working - Recipients receiving 404 message on their end from my Free Account.

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello - my Share-Links are not working properly.  They only work sometimes, and other times not. My recipients are receiving 404 messages after I create and send them a Dropbox folder share-link.

I've had multiple people take a look to troubleshoot, and it all appears to be on dropbox side.   Also, I work in tech, so pretty tech savvy, so very aware how to operate and troubleshoot technology, as are my recipients who took a look.

Please help fix this.  Seems to be on the dropbox end.

Rob

[removed per the Community's Guidelines]

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Graham
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @funkdawggg,

Thanks for the response, it's great to hear that everything is working for you again! Unfortunately, I can't see what may have been at the root of this problem and I agree that it does seem unusual given the prolonged issue free period of time you have been using Dropbox. Hopefully, this will be an isolated incident and you can continue to use Dropbox without any incidents for another prolonged period. 

Thanks again for your patience in getting this resolved and for choosing Dropbox. Please let us know if you have any other feedback or if there is anything else we can help you with.

Have a great day!

Graham

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Are you sending out lots of links?

If so its very likely that you are going over your daily bandwidth allowance of 20gb (for free users) which will result in a 404 error until it resets. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Define lots of links.

I have had this free account for 10 or 15 years.  It's been the same amount of usage and clicks, so nothing has changed.   Never had this issue ever.  Can you see the amount of clicks?   The links are sometimes working and sometimes not.  There's not that many clicks or users.  I can see the counts too, and is the same clicks as ever.

What are the click limits?  Have the click count limits recently changed?  If not, this is NOT the issue.

Also to Note, this is making Dropbox look very bad to a handful of Cloud Storage Power Users across the world FYI.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @funkdawggg, currently it isn't possible to see the number of clicks or data transferred on your account. 

The daily bandwidth limits for shared links and file requests can be found here, and does vary depending upon your account subscription.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

As soon as I sent the links out, my recipients were quickly saying they weren't working.  And there aren't that many recipients, in fact, the same amount of recipients as the past 10 years with this account, and nothing has changed.

How do we explain these 404-returns on the share-links when a month ago there were zero 404-returns to the same exact recipients?   Has Share-Link access changed?   Can you please reset my account from the backend?   There is clearly a glitch.

Thank you,

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @funkdawggg, sorry to jump in here, but can you clarify if your shared links are still not working or giving errors? 

If so, let us know here and we'll reach out via email to investigate further. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

No, my links are not working right now.  It appears they are working intermittently, sometimes they work, other times not.

This is the first time this has ever happened, and I've been using this Account for over 10 years.  I also have to say this puts a bad taste About Dropbox into everyone's mouth, and many of my recipients are paying Cloud Storage Power Users across the world.

Has Dropbox changed its policies on share-links or something?   Otherwise, their technology is glitching and its not a good look.  Zero has changed on my end, and I've never experienced this.

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Walter - After I sent you that last message, the links started working again. 

Now I just got an email telling me "this email is an automated notification from Dropbox letting you know that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic."   And now the share links aren't working again!

How long is a Temporary Suspension?    This is all pretty frustrating.  I just wish I knew what the limits were, and that there were limits in the first place.  You can see in my Account that I've never encountered this issue, and I've also referred many, many, many people to dropbox to support the Dropbox Brand & Company Growth.   

Furthermore, if my account was initially suspended last week for generating excessive traffic, why didn't an email like this prompt then?   Just trying to make sense of this.

How can I find out what is going on?

Rob

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @funkdawggg, sorry to jump in here as well.

Perhaps the email went to your spam/junk folder?

Have you tried contacting our support team about this?

If not, let us know and we can assist you on our end, by opening a support ticket for you.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

funkdawggg
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have not been able to figure out how to contact support with my free account.   I did attempt to contact support, and followed the directions to do so, but the directions to contact support didn't seem to apply, prob because its a free acct.   Guessing the dashboard is different than in a paid account, correct?   Can you advise how I can contact support?  

Either way, the link-share functionality should work as it always has, just frustrating it doesn't anymore as of last week.   

Anyway, thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ronbannon Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?