cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share a folder with everyone - also for people without having a Dropbox account.

Share a folder with everyone - also for people without having a Dropbox account.

ThomasKronevald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi

Dropbox is killing me. 

I want to create a folder, who everyone with the link sent via email or through our website can view/download files. However, it seems, I only can create a folder for teammembers or need to invite people (mail) to share it. 

Is it possible, to create a folder who everyone can view and download files from without having an dropbox account or being part of our team?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

If your shared links have stopped working, please refer to this Help Center article for troubleshooting steps. If your links still don't work after taking these steps, you can contact the support team for further assistance.

As Rich mentioned, shared links default to the “Can Edit” setting. You can restrict access to “View Only” for each link you share. You can read more about managing sharing permissions here.

Regards,

Ben

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ThomasKronevald, let's jump right into this! 

Do you come across any issues, when trying to create a shared link on your end? If you get any error messages, let me know. 

Also, based on what you mentioned, it seems you're part of a Dropbox Business team, correct? Are you the team admin, or a member? Also, is the folder you're trying to create a link for, a Team folder?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ThomasKronevald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Megan

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes I am an admin and Business Team. 

The folder I want to share, should be available for everyone regardless if they are part of our team, or have an account with dropbox. 

E.g. I want to send a link to a press release to a journalist, who should view and/or download. Or it should be available though a link from our website. It seems I can only create links were you need to be a member or have an account. Link is working - but is ending up with File Deleted - but it is not. 

Aibrahimy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi,
I have the same issue with my Dropbox plus apps. Before the changes i can share my folder easily.. just click share.. create link and done.

But now whenever i clicked share .. the app ask to choose link type so people can add delete and edit files. I just want to share the link so that others who do not have Dropbox account can view and download

ThomasKronevald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Aibrahimy,

It is pretty weird. Folder/file is in my dropbox. I just not able to share with anyone outside dropbox regardless of the settings being valid for it. 

Tina S.13
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been doing this for years from my dropbox account. Yesterday it stopped working. It does not let me share with non-users any more. It's either a new bug or a new policy. I posted a questions also and no one answered.

Tina S.13
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am trying to share a link to a video in my dropbox account. I create the link with no issue. If I click on the link myself it works but when I try to view it as a different user (as a non-dropbox user) the link works but I only get the video music, not the images. Is there a problem or has dropbox changed its policy for non-user access?

ThomasKronevald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I suspect this is also the reason why Dropbox Support went quiet. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ThomasKronevald wrote:

It seems I can only create links were you need to be a member or have an account.

@Aibrahimy wrote:
But now whenever i clicked share .. the app ask to choose link type so people can add delete and edit files.

@Tina S.13 wrote:

I've been doing this for years from my dropbox account. Yesterday it stopped working.

The default for a shared link is now Can Edit. You either need to change it to Can View with each new link you create, or go into your sharing settings and set the default for new links to be Can View.

ThomasKronevald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

I have tried all settings - no luck. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BenDBX Community Manager
    ThomasKronevald Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?