cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder with external party not showing uploaded files.

Shared folder with external party not showing uploaded files.

Stephen L 24
New member | Level 2

I have a shared folder with an external party. He has uploaded several documents but they are not showing on my dropbox desktop or browser. The files are showing on his end as uploaded. What can I do to see the files?

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@Stephen L 24 wrote:

I have a shared folder with an external party. He has uploaded several documents but they are not showing on my dropbox desktop or browser.

How was the folder shared with you?

If you received a shared link and you chose to add it to your Dropbox, that is a one-time add and does not stay in sync with the original. Changes to the original would not be reflected in your own, separate copy.

If you were invited to join a shared folder, then anything added to the folder would sync to all other members. Have him sign in to the Dropbox website and verify that the files he added to his local folder have actually synced to his account. If he can see them on the website and you can't, then you're likely looking at a separate copy of the folder.

Stephen L 24
New member | Level 2

I sent him a shared link. He responded with a screen shot from the browser showing the files that he uploaded. 

Rich
Super User II

@Stephen L 24 wrote:

I sent him a shared link.

A shared link doesn't allow a person to upload files back to you. It's a view-only method of sharing. If he used the Add to Dropbox option to add the folder to his account, he added a separate copy that does not sync back to you.

You either need to invite him to a shared folder, or you can use a File Request if he won't need to access the files after he uploads them to you.

Stephen L 24
New member | Level 2

When I enter his email to "Share" it says "This email isn't on your Dropbox team" and doesn't allow me to Share the folder. 

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to share a folder with an external party and allow them to add files that both internal and external parties can see. Does dropbox allow that functionality?

Rich
Super User II

@Stephen L 24 wrote:

When I enter his email to "Share" it says "This email isn't on your Dropbox team" and doesn't allow me to Share the folder.

If you're the team admin for the account, check the sharing settings for your team. If you're not the admin, you'll need to contact your team admin.

CaraDBX
Dropbox Engineer

@Rich wrote:
A shared link doesn't allow a person to upload files back to you. It's a view-only method of sharing. If he used the Add to Dropbox option to add the folder to his account, he added a separate copy that does not sync back to you.

Hi, Dropbox Sharing engineer here. I want to clarify a misunderstanding: A shared link can allow a recipient to upload files back to you. To do so, create a shared link to the folder with edit access. The recipient can open the link, then click "Join Folder". Once they have joined the folder, the user can upload files to the shared folder. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CaraDBX Dropbox Engineer
    Rich Super User II
    Stephen L 24 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?