cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing folders, not enough space

Sharing folders, not enough space

robsimal
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can not accept a shared folder from another basic Dropbox account, it says that I have not enough space, but my Dropbox account is empty of files/folders...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could it be that the shared folder that they are sharing is larger than the space available on your account? 

Please remember that a Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota. In other words, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB. Since every member of a shared folder can add/edit shared content, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

For this reason, I’d recommend asking the other user to send a shared link of the folder which gives recipients the capability to view the shared content without taking up space on your account. 

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Mod note: edited to update links in post. [last updated 2022]

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could it be that the shared folder that they are sharing is larger than the space available on your account? 

Please remember that a Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota. In other words, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB. Since every member of a shared folder can add/edit shared content, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

For this reason, I’d recommend asking the other user to send a shared link of the folder which gives recipients the capability to view the shared content without taking up space on your account. 

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Mod note: edited to update links in post. [last updated 2022]

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

robsimal
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, that is the problem. The thing is that they have also a Basic account, but maybe they have more GB than my basic account.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That is a possibility, @robsimal, as you can earn space to increase your storage. In any case, if you have any other queries, just give me a shout. :wink: Have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

JK24
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Someone with a premium account shared access for a folder but when I try to work in it, it says that there are no more space (I have freemium account).

NB: It's a shared access (with the link) not my own folder.

Can someone help ?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @JK24, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

I've merged your question into this thread, since it echoes what other users have also expressed. 

Feel free to take a look at the reply my colleague, Lusil, has provided. 

If you have any questions, I'm here.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    JK24 New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    robsimal New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?