cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync has stopped working

Sync has stopped working

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I have used Dropbox since about 2016, and have about 250 files created on my PC.  Updating files on the PC used to automatically update the files on my mobile phone until I replaced it with a new phone recently.  I managed to copy the 250 files (somehow) initially, but they don't ever get updated.  Please keep replies simple, as I am 69 and not very tech savvy.  I don't think that I use the Dropbox app on my PC - Dropbox just comes up alongside my general files and photos.  Any help welcome!

55 Replies 55

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The reason we require screenshots is to see exactly how a file appears on your desktop and mobile app. Are the modification dates the same in both areas, indicating a change was made?

Is it definitely open in the Dropbox mobile app showing the old version of the file? 

Once we have the screenshots, while hiding any personal info, we can look into this in more detail.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay,

Thanks for your reply.  Ctrl/PrtSc doesn't seem to do anything on my PC,   I have taken some photos of PC screens with my phone camera, but I can't attach them to this, as they are too big!  I don't know how to reduce the size.  Also, how can I take screenshots on my phone?  Sorry, I am not very computer-literate!

Regards, Jeff 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You can take screenshots using these steps for Windows 

Depending on your phone, there are two ways to take a screenshot. For iOS there is https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200289, and for Android it's https://support.google.com/android/answer/9075928.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay,

Thanks for staying with me!  Screenshot 2022-12-11 161039.pngScreenshot 2022-12-11 161209.png

Are these any good (from my PC).  If so, I will try the phone procedure.  This is all new to me!  Jeff

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the PDF image, please attach how it looks on the phone and from within the Dropbox mobile file list.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay,

I followed the instructions on my Android phone, but none of the ways seemed to work.  I will visit the Vodafone shop tomorrow to see if they can show me what to do.

Jeff

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay,

Success!  Here are four images from my phone, in the order I get them when looking at a file.  Before I changed my phone, the app  went straight to the third screen.  Note that no files have been updated on the phone for a month - they all have the same date.

JeffScreenshot_20221213-115506_Dropbox.jpgScreenshot_20221213-115536_Dropbox.jpgScreenshot_20221213-115556_Dropbox.jpgScreenshot_20221213-115611_Dropbox.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Jeff, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here, too.

It looks like your desktop app is syncing properly, from what I can see from your screenshot, so I’d like us to check another thing together.

Can you please follow these steps on your desktop app and your mobile app and let me know if you see the exact same email address on both? Please don’t post your email address here; just confirm if it’s the same one that you see.

Thanks!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Nancy,

Thanks for helping.  Yes, the email address on my phone Dropbox app and my PC are the same. Please note, though, that I normally access Dropbox on my PC through File Explorer (see earlier attached screenshots).  I could only find out the PC email address by going into Dropbox.com and clicking on my initials in the black circle, but I wouldn't normally access my files in this way.

Jeff

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

An additional bit of information - if I access my files on the PC through Dropbox.com rather than File Explorer, it shows the same (old) versions that appear on my phone.

Jeff

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Vishwas Gagrani Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    jeff47 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?