cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

johnrinek
Helpful | Level 6

Hello
The Finder Extension Icons indicating whether a file or folder is Online Only or Available Offline are showing up in my Finder, however, the statuses are incorrect. For instance a folder that contains files that are both Online Only files and Available Offline files is showing a cloud icon, when it should be showing a white circle with a green checkmark and green outline. I think the Finder Extension is confused. Is there a way to reset the Finder Extension so the icons show correctly without changing the Online Only or Available Offline settings that I have for my files/folders? I do not want to change the statuses of my files/folders, I just want the icons to indicate the statuses correctly. Thank you.
Mac 10.14.6
Dropbox 152.4.4880

163 Replies 163

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10
I encourage people you know to vote of this idea. That appears to be the only way to get the company to take it seriously. Now that I realize everyone is getting different answers from tech-support, it’s clear that no one is in charge at dropbox. Customer service was really great about two years ago but I guess the company is falling apart. Hoping for the best but looking into pCloud for now.

michael tan
Helpful | Level 6

Can not for the life of me understand these changes. Even after a month of trying to get used to it, I am still confused. It's so obviously worse, the only explanation I can fathom is that it is a sabotage.

I don't even bother looking at the icons any more, because they convey such little meaning.

DropBox used to be one of the very few things that just nailed it, that I really loved. Now it's just joined the pile of crappy things that I tolerate.

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

Please Upvote and comment on the idea of "change them back!" here. That's the only way to get Dropbox to pay attention: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Can-we-have-the-old-syncing-icons-back/idc-p/619917#M7...

@johnrinek @rusdom @michael tan @ppadmin @Maximilian89 @jackprest @William F.5 @michela6

@Joseph R.15 @RobT43 @me-db @cindy t.3 @ABW31 @Mantas212 @leandrosilva 

Everyone please upvote on the "suggestion" thread linked above.

Dropbox won't listen to us on this thread!

michael tan
Helpful | Level 6

i literally have to assume DropBox was forced to make these changes as some kind of a business deal, worsening its product in exchange for something they need from Apple / Microsoft, who I am sure will benefit from DropBox losing customers.

There is just no plausible explanation as to why this would have happened. It's so obviously worse. And every time I ask someone at DropBox to explain the reasoning behind the changes, they can not tell me.

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

I've upvoted it long ago.

grackerjack
New member | Level 2

Yes, I get a different explanation from Dropbox reps every time I call in about this. Something fishy going on.

This new "confusing and pointless" icon system kneecapped the usability of Dropbox for teams. We are researching the best of other cloud services and planning on migrating elsewhere once we figure out which other company is the best. Really disappointed in Dropbox. We will also be asking for a refund for our business for the rest of the (pre-paid) year.

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10

@arigoldfilms thanks for tagging, but I already voted a long time ago.

Mantas212
Helpful | Level 6

Same here, already voted

ppadmin
Collaborator | Level 8

I would also suggest contacting DB support on Twitter (@DropboxSupport) and expressing your frustrations with this pointless change. You can direct message them and they will definitely get it.

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10

Thanks for the suggestion @ppadmin

Contacted them on Instagram late July and a few moments ago on Twitter.

2022-09-07 11_59_08-Window.jpg

Need more support?