cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering ownership of a dropbox account

Transfering ownership of a dropbox account

Carole O.
New member | Level 2

HI we are a small community organisation who use a Dropbox Plus account as a back up for our documentation. I originally set up the account so it is linked to my email, I pay the bills and manage the admin / sharing permissions etc.

I am leaving the group and need to transfer ownership of the account to one of the other members of the team

Can someone help with some advice on how we do this please 

Many thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Carole O. wrote:

I am leaving the group and need to transfer ownership of the account to one of the other members of the team

Are you all sharing a single account, or does each person have their own account and this is just the one that has ownership of the shares?

If you're all sharing one account, just know that that's against the terms of service and could result in the account being closed without notice, which would mean the loss of all data in the account as well.

Assuming everyone has their own account and this is just the account that owns the shared folders, the safest way would be to make another member of the share the owner, then let them upgrade their own account if needed. You would then remove yourself from the share and you'd keep your own account which you could either continuing paying for if you need the space, or downgrade it.

The less preferred option would be to change the password on your account to something you don't mind giving to them, update the email address on the account to theirs and have them verify it, then have them update the billing information with their own so you're no longer changed going forward.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Carole O. wrote:

Are you all sharing a single account, or does each person have their own account and this is just the one that has ownership of the shares?

If you're all sharing one account, just know that that's against the terms of service and could result in the account being closed without notice, which would mean the loss of all data in the account as well.

Assuming everyone has their own account and this is just the account that owns the shared folders, the safest way would be to make another member of the share the owner, then let them upgrade their own account if needed. You would then remove yourself from the share and you'd keep your own account which you could either continuing paying for if you need the space, or downgrade it.

The less preferred option would be to change the password on your account to something you don't mind giving to them, update the email address on the account to theirs and have them verify it, then have them update the billing information with their own so you're no longer changed going forward.

Carole O.
New member | Level 2

Hi rich and thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

No we are not all sharing a single account, the account is mine and we share the folders within the group as needed.

So sounds like I should look to make another member of the group the "owner" / admin They can take over the paid subscription at the anniversary and and I will drop off and probably just set up a new account (free with the 2GB limit). doing this we could by teh sound of it update their email to the point of contact for the acocunt

Thanks Carole 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Carole O. New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?