cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Upload entire folders to Dropbox

Upload entire folders to Dropbox

Philip T.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm trying to upload a folder and all of its subfolders to Dropbox (actually I have a bunch to move, but I'm just trying to do one for now). The folder has multiple subfolders and each subfolder of course has files in it. Recreating every single folder and subfolder for everything on my computer that I need to upload is not an option since it would be an extremely tedious and time consuming project.

My intention is to upload all of the desired folders to Dropbox, then delete them from my computer and sync all of them so that I can access them from most anywhere.

How do I handle this?

27 Replies 27

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

Bobby.

I don't understand. Upload folders, sub folders and files in Dropbox is a piece of cake. Just move the Main Folder you want to upload to Dropbox folder.

When Dropbox detect the new content, the app will start uploading the files to the cloud. It's easy. It's simple.

Time required for upload depends on your Internet connection, the amount of files and the size of the files as well.

Gilbert R.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It seems to only work with Crome. You can drag and drop a folder via the Crome Web Browser and it will upload a folder. If you do it via Safari or Firefox, it will not work. It took me forever to figure it out.

David W.82
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have about 250Gg in multiple folders  on an external hard drive .  I want to upload all folder/files to drop box (i have a 1TB account).  I cannot drop them in my Laptop dropbox folder because I do not have enough space .  how can i drop these folder into Dropbox online??

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

David.

One workaround:

1. Get a PC with enough space and install Dropbox.
  2. Use your credentials
  3. Enable selective sync and only sync one folder with just few files
  4. Add the 250GB folder on this PC, into the Dropbox folder
  5. Enable this folder to sync with Selective Sync
  6. 250GB will be uploaded to Dropbox. wait until upload is finished.
  7. On your laptop, enable selective sync and be sure this 250GB folder is not checked

At the end, you can uninstall Dropbox from the PC

Results: you will have your 250GB folder in Dropbox, but your laptop will keep the free space.

Let me know if is clear for you.

note: Dropbox is not a backup APP. I encourage you to backup your data into dvd, bluray, hdd or any other media on regular basis

John P.121
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Like David W. I have numerous files with complex subfolders on external hard drives that I would like to have available on dropbox.  I do not have sufficient storage available on my local drive to drag and drop the files into dropbox and I cannot get another computer for that purpose.  From what I have read it appears that drop box is not able to upload multiple folders from external drives via dropbox.com.  Does this mean that the only way to move my folders (hundreds of folders and subfolders) would be to spend hours manually recreating the file structures on dropbox.com?  

ahmed924944
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I was able to drag and drop / upload multiple folders to Dropbox with Chrome only. Can't get it to work with Firefox. Anybody know how to make with work with Firefox?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You can't. Dropbox does not support uploading folders at all. It works in Chrome but is not supported. You can upload single files or multiple files in a single selection, but not folders.

M E.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This thread was started 17 months ago and still Dropbox has not added this feature. With all the backup and cloud solutions that currently exist, I am surprised that Dropbox is content with being passed over. I began using dropbox when my raid0 hard drive started to go. I couldn't depend on it so I had to manually upload every single important file, many of which were in folders. In the past 17 months (no, I can't afford other drives; bit by bit I have purchased externals when I could afford them) I have probably wasted weeks of time working with dropbox.

I'm hoping to be in a position to purchase a new computer in the next few months. If Dropbox has not updated its functionality by then, I will be looking elsewhere. I'm sure others have done so as well.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I have uploaded folders with sub folders quite successfully now for many years using the web interface (my work doesnt allow install of the software). It works as long as you dont have lots of directories in the folder and a reliable internet connection. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ahmed924944
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Mark Mc, what web browser are you using?  I can only get Chrome to drag and drop / upload folders successfully to Dropbox.  I even tried one folder including just one file with Firefox and Internet Explorer, didn't work.  Firefox and Internet Explorer kind of fake you out, the "green border" to drag and drop / upload shows up, but then the upload stalls without an error message.  Perhaps a configuration setting with Firefox and Internet Explorer?  This all goes away if you install Dropbox software and sync your PC, but I cannot install Dropbox on my work computer.  Frustrating...  I have hundreds of folders which I backup... if it wasn't for the Chrome fallback, I would have dumped my Dropbox.

Need more support?