cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload entire folders to Dropbox

Upload entire folders to Dropbox

Philip T.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm trying to upload a folder and all of its subfolders to Dropbox (actually I have a bunch to move, but I'm just trying to do one for now). The folder has multiple subfolders and each subfolder of course has files in it. Recreating every single folder and subfolder for everything on my computer that I need to upload is not an option since it would be an extremely tedious and time consuming project.

My intention is to upload all of the desired folders to Dropbox, then delete them from my computer and sync all of them so that I can access them from most anywhere.

How do I handle this?

27 Replies 27

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I can only get Chrome to drag and drop / upload folders successfully to Dropbox.

Correct. It only works in Chrome. It will not work in Firefox or IE. Mark is on a Mac, so maybe Safari as well, but he'd have to answer that.

ahmed924944
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It seems that this is not the fault of Dropbox.  The fault seems to be with Firefox and other browsers (with the exception of Chrome).  Also, same thing happens in Google Drive, can only drag and drop / upload folders there successfully with Chrome.  According to the following website, http://superuser.com/questions/909112/does-firefox-support-folder-upload , Firefox is aware of this bug, and has been testing fixes with nightly beta trials.  Hope this helps...

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Sorry, didnt see this reply Ahmed. 

I'm using Chrome on a Windows 7 machine at work. 

Thanks for the update post though. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Annie B.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have read this whole thread and have tried all of the above as I am also trying to back up everything on my external hard drive to my dropbox (1tb) 

I also have multiple folders with sub folders and no time to fluff around copying them individually.

I have an Asus laptop that runs windows 8.1 and chrome.

Can anyone please give me a straight answer on how to do it?!

Razvan Boxifier
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Here is a link with solutions for this: http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tricks/sync-other-folders

ahmed924944
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I was also able to use Opera to drag and drop / upload folders. In summary, Opera yes, Chrome yes, Firefox no, Internet Explorer no.

ahmed924944
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Anybody try this with Safari? I don't have a Mac / iPhone to try it myself.

ahmed924944
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

UPDATE: I was able to use the new version of Firefox to drag and drop / upload folders. In summary, Firefox 50.0 yes, Opera 36.0 yes, Chrome 49.0 yes, Internet Explorer 8.0 no, Safari unknown.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?