cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong name on emails from dropbox

Wrong name on emails from dropbox

Grafiti4u
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When I get an email when someone shares a file with me in dropbox, it says "From: Lisa via Dropbox". My name is Kristi, not sure why it says 'Lisa'

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Grafiti4u wrote:

... that is why it is so weird they all show 'From: Lisa".

Did you save a contact in your address book that could be causing this, and your mail client is simply finding a match for the sender's email (Dropbox) and displaying the name associated with it?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Grafiti4u wrote:

When I get an email when someone shares a file with me in dropbox, it says "From: Lisa via Dropbox". My name is Kristi, not sure why it says 'Lisa'

Are these on emails you're receiving, or emails you're sending to other people? If you're receiving them and they say From: Lisa via Dropbox then that would mean the person sending the file to you is Lisa, or at least the name on her account is Lisa.

Grafiti4u
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

that is what I would have thought.  Normally it is from Lisa, a lady I work with.  But today I got a 'share' from someone entirely different, not in my work, and it still said 'from Lisa'.  That is why I am stumped.  Lisa and I have shared folders, so i was thinking somehow I have her name in my account somewhere?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Grafiti4u wrote:

... i was thinking somehow I have her name in my account somewhere?

Not likely, but you can see (and update) the name on your account on your Account page. The name shown there is what others will see when you send files through Dropbox.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @Grafiti4u, welcome to our Community! 

It's most likely what Rich suggested, but in order for me to double check and also let you know more, can you send some screenshots of what you see on your end with us?

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Grafiti4u
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Here is a screen shot showing 3 different emails from dropbox. 1st one is from Lisa, 2nd one is from Scott, 3rd one I sent to myself.  I also checked the source code of each email, and they all say the correct person in the 'from' category (it says From: [removed]  or From: [email removed as per Community Guidelines] ) so that is why it is so weird they all show 'From: Lisa".  Here is a screen shot:

drop.jpg

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Grafiti4u wrote:

... that is why it is so weird they all show 'From: Lisa".

Did you save a contact in your address book that could be causing this, and your mail client is simply finding a match for the sender's email (Dropbox) and displaying the name associated with it?

Grafiti4u
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

BINGO!

Thanks Rich - that is EXACTLY what it was doing! It was driving me crazy! Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this!
Kristi

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Grafiti4u Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?