cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can't share a folder that contains a shared folder - BUT I AM NOT!

You can't share a folder that contains a shared folder - BUT I AM NOT!

Phil C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Really confused! I need to give access to someone to collaborate but when I try to do this it says 'You can't share a folder that contains a shared folder' and only gives me the option to send them the link (which I have but it is not ideal). I feel sure that I have not previously shared any of the sub-folders and when I click on the sharing option at the side it does not show that any of these folders haver been shared. How can I solve this so I can share the folders inside. It is folders containing audio recordings from an App we have purchased called ALON Dictaphone.

Would really appreciate advice to solve this.

Phil

22 Replies 22

KChristy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I followed the directions above but STILL am unable to "unshare" previously shared folders so I can share the parent folder.   Frustrated.

If I may, this entire hang-up is inhibitory.  Why impose this anti-sharing rule in the first place?  Why not allow us more freedom and control over how we share?

Zabitudo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just press "UNSHARE FOLDER" button in "FOLDER SETTING MENU" before sharing any file upward. This action will make disapear the error message "This file can only be shared with a link, because it contains a shared folder."

Il suffit d'appuyer sur "Annuler le partage" dans le menu "Paramètres du dossier" avant de partager un dossier en amont. Cela fera disparaitre le message d'erreur "Ce dossier ne peut être partager que sous la forme d'un lien, car il continent un dossier partagé."

KChristy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the response.  I was able to fix it.  Instead of unsharing the sub-folders with each person (which I did initially), I clicked on the sub-folder, clicked "edit," and then unshared it at the bottom of the pop-up window.  I then proceeded to each of the shared sub folders and finally was able to share the main, parent folder.

I do wish this rule were not in place.  I'd prefer to share some of our company's sub folders with a larger group of individuals but the parent folders with only a select group.  Yes, I can do this individually (i.e., share each of the sub folders with the select group, too), but I'd rather maintain the hierarchy and cleanness on both ends, rather than having to deal with all the sub-folders.  Please consider.  Thanks.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sabatino T. New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Info A.2 New member | Level 1
    Marjoline V. Explorer | Level 4
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?