cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Don't remove Dropbox Showcase !

Don't remove Dropbox Showcase !

Chivers
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I just heard that Dropbox Showcase was going to disappear. I am both sad and very upset to hear this news. A few years ago I decided to take out a Business subscription for this tool. This unique tool, almost perfect, that makes all the difference! Indeed, I use Showcase on a daily basis to respond to calls for tenders from my clients. Dropbox Showcase allows me to create a response where the customer can find videos references, images, quotes, .etc ... all this in an interactive and professional presentation. This tool is perfect in my opinion! The interface, the ease of use with being able to import your Dropbox files, .etc ... it saves me incredible time! It allowed me to show off my projetcs and win many calls for tenders! I have always had very positive feedback from my clients thanks to Showcase. You say today that you replace this tool with Dropbox Transfer, I am deeply sad because it really has nothing to do with it! I feel abandoned. I found InvisionApp which comes close but which is useless for me because I am a videographer and it is impossible to host videos in it. To my knowledge you were the only ones in this area, and no tool today will be able to replace what you had built! 😞 I don't understand your decision and I share with you my deep disappointment. 😞

Please, don't remove Dropbox Showcase ! 🙏

Bye,

Olivier.

67 Replies 67

Dasonj
Explorer | Level 4

@otticolab , Yep, thanks for sharing. This is not suprising. I've given up hope and migrated all of my showcases over to smug mug. It works for my line of biz, might not for everyone...

I'm dissapointed but no longer disconsolate. 

Marvin_Credible
New member | Level 2

So mad and sad right now. Just discovered this morning that the Showcase feature, along with all my work has disappeared overnight, with no warning. Not only did I not receive any kind of consultation, but I didn't even receive any notification that this was going to happen. If I had, I could have at least copied all the unique text I'd written within the Showcases - now it's all gone, with zero notice or regard from the company I pay a decent monthly price to as a customer.

In fact, Showcase was and is the only reason I even pay for a business account and, like others have said, by sharing Showcase links, I know of many others who have been impressed by it and have either upgraded or taken out new subscriptions to Dropbox because of it.

Showcase had its flaws and limitations for sure, but enough functionality to be able to work with and I used it faithfully in the hopes that it might be worked on and improved as time went on. I would never have invested so much time and money into it if I knew it would be taken away as suddenly as this and now I feel cheated for all the many months and years I've been paying for and relying on this service.

I will now be reviewing my options and trying to make good the damage that has been caused by not only the removal of the feature but also my access to it so I could at least take steps to minimise the damage and loss as I've said. At this precise moment, I can't see any good reason to continune paying a monthly subscription to Dropbox and have frankly lost all trust and faith as a customer as now that I know they've done something like this once, I know they could do it again.

Marvin_Credible
New member | Level 2

Quick update: So it turns out that although the menu link to Showcase has been removed, the files and features are still there and I've been able to access Showcase after all. I did this by using a link from one of my existing showcaases to see if it was still visible and was able to access the others from there.

There's now a notification at the top of the page which tells me that the service will disaappear completely on 31st January 2021. This does give me time to copy and paste my work which is what I was most concerned about and it allows me to create the new showcase I was planning to do today after all.

So I'm happy to see it's not quite the disaster I first thought it was but still a big blow nevertheless. Good luck to everyone else affected by this.

BrainBliss
Helpful | Level 5

I fully agree with Oliver and everyone else who has posted here sharing their

reasons why showcase has been invaluable for their online business.  Does it really cost Dropbox that much to continue showcase?  Showcase is the reason I went for the pro account and would prefer not to seek an alternative, especially with the large task at hand of transferring ALL of my showcase files by January 31.  No where near enought time to deal with all of what I have created and the thousands of clients who have mulitiple showcase links to work with.  Crazy to remove it!  

dietoself86
Helpful | Level 6

With what seems like the inevitable demise of Showcase, I began looking for alternative solutions. I circled back to an application called Niice. With all the improvements that they've added to the app over the last couple of years I believe it is the best alternative to Showcase. I reached out to them via email to see if they knew about Showcase getting the axe & how they might be best suited to be the new solution. Now I have a call scheduled with the CEO (yeah he answered me personally...so that's a plus) next week to discuss/gauge their interest in entering the solo/entrepreneur market segment. I will follow up here after that call. If they could offer a monthly plan that is reasonable I'll probably use the offset savings from moving from Pro to Plus to pay for it. 

Version 3 for Niice is coming early next year: https://niice.co/early-access 

otticolab
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you so much for the idea  @dietoself86 - this looks to be a great solution. I'll be researching this myself and keen to hear any other feedback on it. 

Well done and best of luck working with your team to implement.

I work in Video production, so a solution that incorporates both video materials and documents is a must. This why Showcase was so important. I'll be looking into Niice and any other ideas that everyone has - as DropBox Paper has many limitations in the space we require.

tinywindow
Explorer | Level 4

Same as all above. Showcase was the main reason we upgraded our account. I am very sad to see it go, and wonder why it can't just be left as is, with little or no attention from the dropbox team aside from periodic maintenance? I have looked at alternatives and found nothing comparable. Please reconsider!! 

TechnikALFRED
Explorer | Level 3

yes, shouldn't go. can just suubscribe to what tinywindow said... very sad

BrainBliss
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for finding the Niice Alternative to Showcase!! It looks promising yet it appears to cost quite a lot more.  I signed up for the 3.0 roll out and fingers crossed it arrives in time to do my hundreds of transfers.  I will also cancel my pro account in dropbox once transfers are done.  Dropbox is dropping many loyal and seemingly happy customers based on this message feed.  

dietoself86
Helpful | Level 6

@BrainBliss @otticolab I actually had a lengthy conversation with the CEO of Niice yesterday. He was super cool. He explained to me that they know the pricing structure can be a challenge & that they are actively working on it to reach our solo/freelance market. He thoughtfully laid out the struggles with pricing a product between the major markets & our market. I definitely see where he's coming from once he laid it all out to me.

I believe their product is already far better than Showcase & 3.0 will only make it better. I was given early access to v3.0 & they've really knocked it out of the park for brand management. He also showed me some features that are currently in development...WOW!

I would suggest keeping an eye on Niice in the coming months. I'm not sure they'll be able to make the deadline for the end of Showcase...you know since that occured so fast! I'm keeping an open line of communication with their team & will report back here any developments.

As for me I think it's back to the Synology NAS & a cancellation of my account.

Need more support?