cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File request folder mysteriously deleted

File request folder mysteriously deleted

Testbed
New member | Level 2

Greetings,

I am a free Dropbox user, and have been using Dropbox's File Request function to obtain folders from people within my workgroup.

However, today the folder was mysteriously deleted, and (presumably since my account is free) I am unable to retrieve the files, nor check who did it. All that I can tell is that the folder was deleted (since it appears under the "deleted" section).

Retrieving the files isn't a huge issue since I can just get everyone to resubmit, but I was wondering if there was a ay to figure out how/why it got deleted? I went through the "events" section of the account and didn't see any notification of any of the members deleting the folder, so I'm not sure if this was a bug/glitch, or something else.

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Testbed 

As long as it was removed within 30 days you can recover via https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-deleted-files-folders. Then once recovered click on it and look at previous versions and that should show WHERE deleted it (or who)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Testbed
New member | Level 2

Hi @Mark

Sorry if I'm blind, but I couldn't find the place where it mentions the previous versions.

Thank you

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @Testbed!

The Activity option for your folder should be located on the bottom right corner of your screen (after opening the folder you wish to see the activity for).

The previous versions of your folder should appear on the sidebar.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Testbed New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?