cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I cancel my computer backup?

How can I cancel my computer backup?

timq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I apparently selected pc backup when I installed Dropbox and naturally I'm out of storage on my Dropbox account now.  I don't want and have no need to have my pc backed up to it.  I have the desktop app but am not able to find the preferences section to stop it from backing up.  I did try just deleting My PC from Dropbox but a message comes up and says if I delete "My PC" it says it will be removed from my Dropbox and from the computer.  If I delete it in Dropbox, does that mean I'll lose everything on my laptop too?  Sorry if it sounds like a newbie question but I am. 🙂 Any help stopping the PC backup would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @timq, welcome aboard our Community!

Indeed, with computer backup, if you delete your desktop files from Dropbox, they will also be deleted from your computer. 

If you want to disable the backup feature, you can follow the steps here.

You'll find the Dropbox app's preferences, if you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

55 Replies 55

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @timq, welcome aboard our Community!

Indeed, with computer backup, if you delete your desktop files from Dropbox, they will also be deleted from your computer. 

If you want to disable the backup feature, you can follow the steps here.

You'll find the Dropbox app's preferences, if you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

timq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When I click on the icon in the system tray, the window that comes up does not have a Backups tab.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @timq, after clicking the system tray icon, did you click the icon on the top right to then view the Preferences option, and then the Backup section?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

timq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Told you I was a newbie lol.  Turns out I was not clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray but the one in the taskbar.  Thanks so much for all y'all's help.  Got it changed.

stuarts14
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What an absolute fiasco!

These instructions are UNCLEAR and AMBIGUOUS.

I've wasted my time on this, and now I have NO IDEA if my files are safe from being deleted by drop box.

eschurr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i agree!  i'm computer savvy and i have spent a long time trying to figure this out and i'm still baffled.  I vaguely remember being prompted by Dropbox to backup my PC, but the notification was an interruption to what i was doing and i just clicked "OK" to get rid of it....now i regret that. I can not figure out how to simply say "stop backing up everything."  I've gone to the Backups tab in the Preferences setting of the desktop app but there's no obvious way to just turn it all off.  When i open the tab everything is checked.  If i uncheck the choices, the Save button is disabled.  My only option now is to pause syncing, but that pauses everything!  Please help.

dreambughell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too have activated PC backup.  I do not see a "preferences" tab when I click the upper right icon

stuarts14
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Here's the obvious, related question:

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT DROP BOX TO DELETE FILES FROM THEIR HARD DRIVE??

Please forgive me if I think drop box is deliberately "culling the herd" with this inanity  

solargirl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I too have been trying to figure out how to know if my files are safe. They were automatically backed up without my asking for that and now (of course) Dropbox is telling me that I'm at my limit and need to pay for more storage. My files on my computer did not need to be backed up and now I cannot figure out how to un-back them up. This is so f*%$ed up!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    BobBurgess New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Another Fed Up User New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?