cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer and other devices?

How do I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer and other devices?

LynnMGallagher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I do not use Dropbox for backup storage; I use a different service for that.  But friends and fellow students sometimes want to share files in Dropbox, so I set up a free account.  Somehow, I don't know how, Dropbox uploaded some of my photos to the cloud and filled up my basic Dropbox space.  I would like to take my photos out of Dropbox WITHOUT DELETING THEM FROM MY COMPUTER or other devices.  This would give me the Dropbox space that I need for sharing.  But when I try to do that, Dropbox says that it will delete my photos from all my devices!  How can I empty my Dropbox without deleting my photos from my devices?

46 Replies 46

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting here, @RINGDING!

To make sure I get this right; do you wish to delete files from www.dropbox.com without deleting them from your local Dropbox folder? If yes, then you can ignore those files instead. 

Do you want to delete files from your Dropbox account, in general, without affecting any local copies on your laptop (outside of the Dropbox folder)?

Have you enabled computer backup perhaps, and you’d like to turn it off while returning your files to their original place on your laptop instead?

Let me know.

--------------

[Moderator Note: The post was edited for clarity/more information/details.]

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RINGDING
Explorer | Level 3

I want to delete files from my local dropbox folder and dropbox.com and not delete the original file on my laptop.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@RINGDING, in this case, you can delete your files either from the Dropbox website or the desktop app, and if you have a separate copy of them in another location on your laptop, these won't be affected at all.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

zergaw asefa
New member | Level 2

not delete from desk top

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @zergaw asefa, thanks for posting here! 

Unfortunately it's not entirely clear what you wish to achieve here. 

Do you wish to learn how to delete files from Dropbox, without deleting them from your desktop, or something different? 

If you could clarify, that'd be amazing in order for me to then be able to guide you correctly. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sms250
New member | Level 2

I dont understand to delete something from drop box but not my laptop what do I need to do?

thanks

Mark
Super User II

@sms250 wrote:

I dont understand to delete something from drop box but not my laptop what do I need to do?

thanks

Move it out of the Dropbox folder to a different directory on your computer.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    sms250 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    zergaw asefa New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?