cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Organizing Shared Folders

Organizing Shared Folders

Suzette C.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As a busy freelancer, I have different clients sharing folders with me all the time. This has gotten out of control for me.

In DropBox, when a folder is shared with me, its dropped in my DropBox root.

My question is... can I move shared folders in MY DropBox structure without messing up where the client has it saved on their end? I really need to get this under control and I don't want to screw anything up for my client.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~SS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Suzette C. 

Yes you can! So I have a really originally named folder called "Shares" where I move everything to! You can also rename them to whatever you want without it impacting on anybody else which is really helpful as most of my shares had names like "Share for Mark" etc.!

One word of warning on this though is when you do start moving Dropbox will tell you that you've left/deleted/closed shares etc. as you do it do not panic and ignore it. Give it time and it will start saying the opposite as they go to where you moved them before they work again 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Suzette C. 

Yes you can! So I have a really originally named folder called "Shares" where I move everything to! You can also rename them to whatever you want without it impacting on anybody else which is really helpful as most of my shares had names like "Share for Mark" etc.!

One word of warning on this though is when you do start moving Dropbox will tell you that you've left/deleted/closed shares etc. as you do it do not panic and ignore it. Give it time and it will start saying the opposite as they go to where you moved them before they work again 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Suzette C.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

THANK YOU so very much! I was so afraid to make any changes.

As a person who likes everything in it's place, this is gold! I appreciate the time it took you to help and provide info. Have a great weekend!

~SS

klthompson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just had this exact same question! I moved a shared folder to where  wanted it to be in my dropbox, and then had a slight panic attack on whether I broke this new clients dropbox. Happy to hear that it's ok to do this!

Need more support?