cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewind of deleted folder

Rewind of deleted folder

Moritz44
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello all together,

unfortunatley I deleted a folder with an important video of my wedding. The folder is not any more in the delete-folder. Is there any possibility to get this folder back? Is rewind or dropbox-backup an option? I can not rewind my hole dropbox, because I edited important files of my work.

I am greateful for any kind of help.

Thank you in advance!

Moritz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Moritz44 

Unfortunately not. Rewind is simply a way of restoring files/folders to how they were quickly. It uses the same restore timescales and options as the plans people are on. 

If you deleted it over 30 days ago (assuming you are a free user) its not possible to recover now via Dropbox 😞

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Moritz44 

Unfortunately not. Rewind is simply a way of restoring files/folders to how they were quickly. It uses the same restore timescales and options as the plans people are on. 

If you deleted it over 30 days ago (assuming you are a free user) its not possible to recover now via Dropbox 😞

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Moritz44
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks Mark for your help.
The concerning Dropbox Account is premium. Does this change anything?
Would it be possible to safe the whole Dropbox, do rewind, and then grab the file and reload the data?
Thank you in advance!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Moritz44 wrote:
The concerning Dropbox Account is premium. Does this change anything?

It depends on the account. Basic (free), Plus and Family accounts have 30 days of file recovery, while Professional and Business Standard plans have 180 days, and Business Advanced plans have 365 days. Typically though, if the file is no longer in Deleted Files, it's been deleted permanently and cannot be recovered. Note that upgrading to a higher plan now will not help.

BruAllNei
Explorer | Level 3
I am a Free account user with 1 shared full access user. I just discovered that the shared access user maliciously deleted a massive amount of my data (dozens of folders). Is there a way to get the data back?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear about this, @BruAllNei.

Were you the owner/creator of this shared folder?

Do you see the deleted files in your deleted files page?

What does your events page say about the deletions?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BruAllNei
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry to hear about this, @BruAllNei.

Were you the owner/creator of this shared folder?  YES, I am...

Do you see the deleted files in your deleted files page?   NO.

What does your events page say about the deletions? 

I don't see an "Events" page or any history of the deletions - apparently the one person who had the shared access removed his access to my account after permanently deleting my folders (I had used over 95% the amount of data one gets with the Free account, now I have over 95% available)...

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @BruAllNei, sorry to jump in.

You can navigate to your events page by clicking on this link. Do you see any actions regarding the deleted folder there? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

BruAllNei
Explorer | Level 3

Yes,  I see that the person who had shared access "removed" access to the shared folder on July 19th...the thing is, once that was done I lost all that data.  
The data did not belong to that person, I only shared access to it with him.  What can I do to get my folders/files back ??

Mark
Super User II

@BruAllNei wrote:

Yes,  I see that the person who had shared access "removed" access to the shared folder on July 19th...the thing is, once that was done I lost all that data.  
The data did not belong to that person, I only shared access to it with him.  What can I do to get my folders/files back ??

They need to reshare the folder with you. 

As they owned the share folder it was stored in they can, and have, decided to close or remove you from the share. The only way to get it back is via the other person re giving you access. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    BruAllNei Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?