cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will an upgrade from basic Dropbox to Dropbox Plus allow me to access to old versions of a file

Will an upgrade from basic Dropbox to Dropbox Plus allow me to access to old versions of a file

islandnomads
Explorer | Level 3

I have had Basic for years.   I have never had any problems until today when I discovered I could no longer access this file and that every single change I made to an important file are completely missing since July 2023.  I have accessed and modified this file every single week for a year and a half and now, suddenly, I haven't got any of these modifications for the past 3 months+.

This is an inopportune time to discover that Basic might not have been enough.  So my question is, if I upgrade to the next tier of Dropbox (Dropbox Plus?), will I be able to access the modifications I have made or do they simply not exist because I have had the lesser plan all these years?

And an adjunct question, where the heck is my current file?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@islandnomads wrote:

So my question is, if I upgrade to the next tier of Dropbox (Dropbox Plus?), will I be able to access the modifications I have made ...

The recovery period for Basic is 30 days. Upgrading to a higher plan doesn't extend the recovery period for files that are already deleted. It only applies to files deleted or modified after the upgrade.

I have never had any problems until today when I discovered I could no longer access this file and that every single change I made to an important file are completely missing since July 2023.

Any activity for a file will be listed on the Events page. If Dropbox doesn't have any changes listed for a file, then the file was likely not syncing to Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

@islandnomads wrote:

So my question is, if I upgrade to the next tier of Dropbox (Dropbox Plus?), will I be able to access the modifications I have made ...

The recovery period for Basic is 30 days. Upgrading to a higher plan doesn't extend the recovery period for files that are already deleted. It only applies to files deleted or modified after the upgrade.

I have never had any problems until today when I discovered I could no longer access this file and that every single change I made to an important file are completely missing since July 2023.

Any activity for a file will be listed on the Events page. If Dropbox doesn't have any changes listed for a file, then the file was likely not syncing to Dropbox.

islandnomads
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Rich, for getting back to me so quickly.  The last entry on my events page was July.  So I understand, from what you're saying, that my Dropbox had not synced this file for months.  What I don't understand is how that's possible when I have been opening, saving and reopening saving every week for months.  When I access the same file from Dropbox, edit it then save it then reopen it again and again for updating and saving, how is it possible that it wasn't syncing?

Mark
Super User II

Hi @islandnomads 

Is Dropbox running when you hover your mouse over its icon? What does it say if it is? 

Are you editing and opening the file inside of Dropbox and not another location?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

islandnomads
Explorer | Level 3

I access Dropbox via Locations on my mac finder so I'm not sure.  Am I doing it wrong?

Mark
Super User II

No thats the right way to the folder, but, doesn't mean Dropbox is running. 

There should be a Dropbox icon at the top of the screen near the clock. If there isn't its not running. So there is no syncing. Rerun it from Applications folder or via www.dropbox.com/downloading

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

islandnomads
Explorer | Level 3

OK.  That icon looks familiar so I'm guessing I did something stupid in July to eradicate it from the menu bar. WOW.  Lesson learned.  Ouch.  Thanks so much for the help.  I still don't understand, however, how I could've been faithfully updating that file for months without it syncing?

Mark
Super User II

@islandnomads wrote:

I still don't understand, however, how I could've been faithfully updating that file for months without it syncing?

Because if Dropbox isnt running - i.e. in the menu bar at the top, then there is no syncing. Dropbox isn't able to upload and download without the application running. 

You are simply opening and working on files in a folder on your machine like any other folder. The Dropbox application then works on that folder to up and download to cloud. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    islandnomads Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?