cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to open Pages and Numbers files stored in Dropbox when offline?

how to open Pages and Numbers files stored in Dropbox when offline?

Mac C.
Helpful | Level 5

When I'm online, I can open any Pages or Numbers files stored in Dropbox (on computer or iPad). But when OFFLINE, I am unable to open any of the many Pages or Numbers files stored in my Dropbox account .  Is there a way to open and edit these files when OFFLINE?

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mac C., happy Tuesday! 

In order to be able to open your content on your iPad when offline, you'd need to make them accessible first, following these steps.

As for your computer, is the content you're trying to open available online or offline too? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mac C.
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Megan, thanks for replying. Sorry for the delay. To answer your question, I have 2 folders in my Dropbox account that I want to access when I am online AND offline. Right now, both folders are set (via my iPad) to be available OFFLINE. I can only see them by opening Dropbox and viewing them as non-editable files.  I cannot access them offline using Numbers, Pages or LibreOffice. I don't even know where I would find them other than in the Dropbox app. My question is... how do I locate and configure these folders to be accessible OFFLINE using Numbers, Pages or LibreOffice?

Mac C.
Helpful | Level 5

My Dropbox content is available online AND offline on my computer. I have no issues with that. My only issue has been how to access selected Dropbox folders of files on my iPad and iPhone.  I followed the instructions you sent... I made sure the 2 folders I want to access on my mobile devices are set to be available OFFLINE. However, I still cannot find these folders when I open Pages or Numbers on my mobile devices. How do I find them when OFFLINE?

Mac C.
Helpful | Level 5

To clarify… my goal on this issue is to learn how to access, open and be able edit documents created in Pages, Numbers or any other app (like Libreoffice) that I store in Dropbox. Right now, I can only locate, open and edit these documents using the original app on my computer (online or offline).  I cannot even locate these documents much less open or edit them using their originating app when using my iPad or iPhone. So, my question is… what does it take to use apps like Pages or Numbers to locate, open and edit documents stored in Dropbox from an iPad or iPhone?  Is it possible?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mac C., happy Monday! 

You'd have to export the file to the Pages app in order to achieve what you mentioned. 

You can always use the Files app. There, you can make sure the file is available 'offline' by tap-holding the file and choosing "Download" or just opening the file once. That way, you can simply tap the file to open it in the Pages app and make edits while offline.

When you reconnect the changes will sync to the Dropbox account. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Mac C.
Helpful | Level 5

Megan,

What is the "Files App" you refer to? I'm not aware of any app on my iPad or iPhone with that name.

Also, I contacted Dropbox Tech Support with my question. They sent me this message: "What you have to do is to enable Dropbox as a location in the Files. You can read about it here:

I had already activated Dropbox so it appears under my "Locations" list in Pages and Numbers. However, it appears that this location is only active when my iPad is online (via WiFi or Cellular). Further, if you scroll down the last section on that link, it clearly lists "Accessing files in the Dropbox folder while offline" as something the user CANNOT do using the FILES app (yet) on a mobile device.

Do you disagree with this? Are you saying it IS possible to access and EDIT a file stored in Dropbox from my iPad when it is OFFLINE? I don't interpret your response as Yes.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Mac C., I just tested it, and it seems you're correct, it doesn't work when offline. 

My apologies on this. What happens when you try exporting the content? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Mac C. Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?