cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I downgrade my account and keep my bonus space?

Can I downgrade my account and keep my bonus space?

Noah Spurrier
Explorer | Level 3

I have a "Dropbox Basic" account with bonus space "Granted by Dropboxer". I want to upgrade my account to "Business". If I ever decide to not renew my "Business" account and downgrade back to a "Basic" account will I lose my bonus space?

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Noah Spurrier, thanks for posting your question here!

Generally, you won't lose your referrals if you upgrade or downgrade your subscription.

They'll be worth 500 MB if you are on a Basic account, in relation to the 1 GB space they are worth if you are on a paid subscription.

Once you downgrade, could you go to your Plan tab and see what it reports?

Give me a shout with any updates or any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SevBox
New member | Level 2

Hello, I have a basic account free with 10 GB (as I had sponsored a lot of people when launching dropbox at the start).

I was wondering if by switching to the paid account and if I have then to cancel, will I find a basic account at 10 GB or the basic account at 2 GB?

Thank you for your help!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SevBox, thanks for checking in with us. 

I moved your post here, where another user asked something similar. 

Have a look at what I mention and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SevBox
New member | Level 2

Thank you Lusil!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Anytime, @SevBox

Wizard hat.gif

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Noah Spurrier
Explorer | Level 3

I have a few terabytes of Extra Space storage I received early on granted by a Dropbox employee. I use less than 1 TB, so I'm not upgrading to get more storage. Rather, I am considering upgrading to Business Advanced plan ($20/month) for advanced features like the "Single sign-on", "Viewer History", "Audit logs with file event tracking", "Admin Console", and the 180 day Rewind and file recovery. My concern is that if I buy a year of the Advanced plan features and then after a year I decide I don't really use the features then can I downgradeback to the Basic plan (free) without losing the Extra space Granted by Dropboxer. I  don't want to comit to a year and then find that I can't go back to my free plan.

emmasb
New member | Level 2
I accumulated max referral space when I first got Dropbox. Recently I was out of space so I trialled the upgrade to Dropbox plus, and subsequently paid for 1 month after the trial expired. I’ve now sorted my stored items and want to remove plus but when I go to click remove Dropbox tells me I will only have the basic 2GB of space. I definitely had more than that before. How can I go back to the space I had? I don’t necessarily want to delete any more files. Or am I stuck with plus now?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @emmasb, welcome to our Community! 

I've merged you into this thread since the OP has a similar concern to what you had. 

Feel free to take a look at what has been suggested so far, and let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

martinsjus
New member | Level 2

Don't remember how much, but I had managed to accrue some extra storage by referring my friends & family to dropbox which was lost once I tried out and later canceled the Professional plan. Now that I check in my account settings, I only have the extra 250MB from completing getting started activities and none from referrals. Is this something that is possible to get back, or are the earned referral storage gone for good? 

Thanks in advance!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Subha New member | Level 2
    martinsjus New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?