cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Unlinked My Accounts Suddenly

Dropbox Unlinked My Accounts Suddenly

Enialb2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there!

I've have a free dropbox personal account for 15 years, and at some point added a free Teams account. Several years ago I upgraded the Teams account to a Professional account.

-----

Today I got this message, and all my Professional files were taken off my machines (they're still on dropbox  of course)

Business Dropbox Removed:

Your business Dropbox account was removed from this computer because your accounts were unlinked. Your files have not been deleted.

------

I would love to be able to link my two accounts, and continue having two separate dropbox home folders on my machine. Basically, I am leaving the country tomorrow morning and will have extremely limited internet access. I just need it to work how it used to, but I accept that I may need an alternate setup based on whatever Dropbox has changed.

When I am signed into my Personal (free) account, it says I have 3TB of space, and the same for the Professional account.

Within the settings menu the Pro account is called Personal Account, but when I check the billing plan for the Pro account, it calls it Dropbox Professional.

Any solutions? Many Thanks! (too bad this is my only option for customer support 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The only way to link them now, I'm afraid, is for one to be on a paid Business plan (i.e. with multi user licences). 

https://help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/team-member/free-teams-overview

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The only way to link them now, I'm afraid, is for one to be on a paid Business plan (i.e. with multi user licences). 

https://help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/team-member/free-teams-overview

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Enialb2 wrote:

I would love to be able to link my two accounts, and continue having two separate dropbox home folders on my machine.

Dropbox has ended support for free teams and have begun disbanding all existing free teams. The only way to link two accounts is to be part of a team, and the only team accounts still available are paid Business teams.

You can continue to sync one account to your computer, and you'll need to use the Dropbox website to sign in to the other account. Without being in a Business team, there's no way to sync both accounts to your computer.

Enialb2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for the answers!

KK2022
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm in this scenario too - I've seen the warnings coming so I knew it was happening at some stage but I couldn't understand still how it applies to me.

I have paid to have a business level of access for a few years, so I am already paying, but now even though I'm paying money to have that... I can't have the two areas I have developed over time, linked? 

I've had dropbox for around 14 years so I'm finding this extremely frustrating!

Thanks for any further guidance anyone may be able to give. 

EPASION04
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, I find myself in the same situation. I have a paid Personal dropbox account, but my Teams account got converted to a regular account. Is there a simple way to transfer all my files from the Teams account to my personal account?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@KK2022 wrote:

I have paid to have a business level of access for a few years, so I am already paying, but now even though I'm paying money to have that... I can't have the two areas I have developed over time, linked?

If you're not on a Business plan (i.e. a plan meant for teams of three or more people) then no, you can no longer link accounts so they both sync to the same computer. While Plus, Professional and Family are all paid plans, they're not a Team plan, and only the paid Team plans (i.e. Business) are able to link accounts.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @EPASION04, hope you’re doing well!

In order to move your files to your personal account, you can share them from your previous Business account to this one instead. 

You can check this link for all the relevant info. 

Let me know if you’ve got any questions after that.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

as444
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also had them unlinked and want to transfer them together.  My question though is a little different.  For some reason, the dropbox they left on the computer was the little used teams account and my personal dropbox was taken off my computer. Very frustrating.  Once I transfer the files to my personal box, should I uninstall and reinstall the dropbox app to get the personal account on the computer? Any other ideas?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @as444 

If the one on your computer is the little used one I suggest logging out of Dropbox on your machine, moving all the files to your desktop and deleting the 'Dropbox' folder. Reinstall Dropbox from www.dropbox.com/downloading and log in to the OTHER account. That will download everything from that one for you. Then, just add any files from the desktop back to the folder 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Toshiespeaks Helpful | Level 6
    lizettejonker Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    The Meerkat New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?