cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost my previous mobile number and I have two step verification on my account. What can I do?

I lost my previous mobile number and I have two step verification on my account. What can I do?

wellness_orifla
New member | Level 2

i have lost my previous mobile number which is linked with my dropbox account. In my dropbox account two step verification is "turn on". And because of that i am unable to login to my dropbox account. This is my another account i have made for filing compaint. my email id is [removed] and i know the pasword. but i dont have my previous mobile number so i am not able to enter the otp. mobile no. which is linked is [removed]. Kindly please resolve this problem. There are very important files in my dropbox account. please help me asap.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access to an account

Rich
Super User II

When you enabled two-step authentication you were given 10 backup codes that allow you to gain access to your account should you lose or change phones. You'll need to use one of those codes to sign-in to your account.

If you no longer have those codes, then you will not be able to access the account.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

When you enabled two-step authentication you were given 10 backup codes that allow you to gain access to your account should you lose or change phones. You'll need to use one of those codes to sign-in to your account.

If you no longer have those codes, then you will not be able to access the account.

View solution in original post

atccodex
New Super User

@Rich is correct. The backup codes are for this specific purpose and so is 2FA. This is the exact reason why it is put in place, so that someone can't gain access to your account without the backup codes or your device. I always recommend to use other methods besides SMS to get the codes, such as a code generator (LastPass has a great one that works with Dropbox, and it backups to your LastPass account automatically.). Better yet, a physical key is another great way to secure your account (you still should have some sort of backup authentication method in place.)

Amiramir99210
Explorer | Level 3

{I have amended your post and removed your personal information as to better allign with our Community's Guidelines.}

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hello @Amiramir99210. Welcome to Dropbox Community. 

I have removed your email from the public comments to protect your privacy as per our guidelines. Please contact support for any account access issues at: https://www.dropbox.com/support 

We cannot take action on access issues you have with your Account via Community but we can provide information to help, if you let us know more about the issue you are facing. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

NaseemBabu
Explorer | Level 3

I forget my mobile and email id password
So I can't login email and complete two step verification but I remember my Dropbox id and password. So please help me my important documents are keep in Dropbox
Dropbox id :[personal information removed due to the Community's Guidelines]
I am very thankful to you for this please

Rich
Super User II

@NaseemBabu wrote:

I forget my mobile and email id password
So I can't login email and complete two step verification but I remember my Dropbox id and password.

As stated above, you'll need to use the backup codes that you were given when you enabled two-step authentication. If you no longer have those codes, then you will not be able to access the account.

NaseemBabu
Explorer | Level 3
I can't login my Dropbox so I don't handdle to disable two step verification. Please help me

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @NaseemBabu!

Can you just clarify for me exactly what prompt you're getting when you try and sign into your Dropbox account?

Two step verification codes wouldn't be sent to you via an email, it would be a SMS text message or through an authenticator app. Are you perhaps getting a one time verification code sent to your email?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Those phone numbers had given for getting verification code aren't using now.What's the alternative?

Numan Abdul Kader
New member | Level 2

Dear Dropbox. I'm in trouble. I've got an account against my Gmail id. Those phone numbers I provided that account for getting verification code are not using. I'm in now another country, and both of my those phone numbers aren't able to use.

Besides, I've no extra codes to verify. Every time I try to enter my account, dropbox sends text code to my numbers. I'm not getting that code, unfortunately as I'm not using those numbers.

If anyhow dropbox sends verification code to my email, then I could enter my account and use it. I've some important files there so; I'm eagerly waiting for a solution. Kindly let me know what the alternative way to get verification code is. Thank you so much.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ehabahmed New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Numan Abdul Kader New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?