cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for an unknown account

Being charged for an unknown account

Rum-SMK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all,

I work for an organisation and our bank card is being charged for a dropbox account. None of our current staff pay for an account.

We think it might be an ex staff member who paid for the account and didn't cancel their subscription before leaving.

How do we find out how to access the account that we are paying for. It would be good to get some money back, or at least cancel it so that we aren't charged again.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rum-SMK wrote:

How do we find out how to access the account that we are paying for. It would be good to get some money back, or at least cancel it so that we aren't charged again.

You can use the credit card charge lookup tool to identify the account you're being charged for. Once you've identified the account, you can sign into it if you have access to the email address associated with the account. Reset the password if necessary. A refund likely won't be possible, but you should be able to cancel the subscription. If you can't access the account, contact Support to cancel any future charges.

View solution in original post

113 Replies 113

sammyjoms
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm reaching out / logging in thru my personal Dropbox account.

There is a charge on our companies VISA for $1200 and I don't know what it's for??

I tried the "lookup" tool  for credit card charges and it's not working... no one at my office knows if this in an older account that a prior employee set up before I started working here / we have no access to it, don't know what the e-mail address is, etc.. how can i SPEAK WITH A PERSON to rectify this?

This is SUPER annoying!!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@sammyjoms wrote:

There is a charge on our companies VISA for $1200 and I don't know what it's for?? ... how can i SPEAK WITH A PERSON to rectify this?

With that amount it's likely for a Business account which would allow you to access phone support, but phone support is initiated via a callback through the admin console of the account, and only the team admin would have access. There's no phone number that you can call. If you can't sign in to the account to access the admin console, you'll need to open a ticket.

Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rum-SMK wrote:

You can use the credit card charge lookup tool to identify the account you're being charged for. Once you've identified the account, you can sign into it if you have access to the email address associated with the account. Reset the password if necessary. A refund likely won't be possible, but you should be able to cancel the subscription. If you can't access the account, contact Support to cancel any future charges.

Erication
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a charge on my credit card for the sum of €119.88 for an account I'm not aware of. There is no ID-number for this transaction, only referring to DB.TT/CCHELP. I saw a previous similar question about the same amount which was marked Solved so maybe there is a valid explanation?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Erication wrote:

I have a charge on my credit card for the sum of €119.88 for an account I'm not aware of.

You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Dropbox cannot charge you if they don't have your billing information. If you've been charged and didn't give them your billing information, then someone else has and you should be contacting your bank.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Erication, if you're having any trouble reaching out to our Support team, let me know, so I can reach out to you.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wildone1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This just happened to me too. I was just charged for 3 licenses. I don't even use this 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wildone1 wrote:

This just happened to me too. I was just charged for 3 licenses. I don't even use this 

You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Dropbox cannot charge you if they don't have your billing information. If you've been charged and didn't give them your billing information, then someone else has and you should be contacting your bank.

Sandra Hess
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Help! I have logged into both of my free accounts to verify ZERO billing BUT a charge of $11.99 is showing up on my Amex. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kristen3 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?