cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download large files and folders from Dropbox

How to download large files and folders from Dropbox

Autoinside
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using dropbox desktop to upload a bunch of files for clients. Each client has a folder created for them, and in that folder are files that are up to roughly 10gb in size.  The client and I are not sharing back and forth, all they need to do is download the files in that folder once.  I would assume that most of my clients are not dropbox members, and are trying to download with the web client.

On the web client, there is a download button so they can download the contents of that folder. However, everyone who tries to download the files get the same message: "file is too large to download".

On any given day, I could have up to 5 people trying to download thier files from me.

Is there a limit on how much storage can be downloaded in a day? How can I get my files to my clients?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The File is too large to download message is referring to the limits for downloading a folder of files, which is 1GB in size or containing 10,000 files. Anything above those limits will produce an error if they try to download the folder whole. Instead they would need to download the individual files within the folder.

An alternative solution would be for you to Zip the folder ahead of time and providing a link directly to the Zipped file. Share links to a file have no size limitations (other than the size of your account) like those for a folder. Also, if they have a Dropbox account with enough available space to hold the folder, they can select the Add to my Dropbox option to have the folder automatically saved to their Dropbox account.

Another limitation to be mindful of is the amount of bandwidth used daily for your share links. Basic accounts have a total of 20GB of bandwidth and Plus accounts have 200GB. This is per day on a 24-hour sliding window.

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

While we don’t know what could be released in the future, I can forward this suggestion to the dev team for their consideration so they can look into this possibility to improve the service when using the Dropbox site!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The File is too large to download message is referring to the limits for downloading a folder of files, which is 1GB in size or containing 10,000 files. Anything above those limits will produce an error if they try to download the folder whole. Instead they would need to download the individual files within the folder.

An alternative solution would be for you to Zip the folder ahead of time and providing a link directly to the Zipped file. Share links to a file have no size limitations (other than the size of your account) like those for a folder. Also, if they have a Dropbox account with enough available space to hold the folder, they can select the Add to my Dropbox option to have the folder automatically saved to their Dropbox account.

Another limitation to be mindful of is the amount of bandwidth used daily for your share links. Basic accounts have a total of 20GB of bandwidth and Plus accounts have 200GB. This is per day on a 24-hour sliding window.

Autoinside
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

why on earth would there be a limitation of 1gb?  1gb is such a small size. Why is the download being limited when I am paying good money for dropbox service. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Because the process of downloading a folder requires that the folder first be compressed into a single file. It is that process that has a limit of 1GB or 10,000 files. Remember that this limitation only applies when downloading a folder. You can download a single file of any size.

Dave10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I zip a >1GB directory with thousands of files (scientific data reads) stored on Dropbox but not on my computer? The only answer I can find online is that I need to download the whole directory, then zip it myself, and then re-upload it to their server. This is not possible because I neither have the computational resources nor patience. I'm a paying customer. How can I ask Dropbox to zip the directory for me so I can share it?

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Dave10, welcome to our forum! 

I’m afraid we can’t zip that folder up for you, sorry. If you’re sharing this content out with others who need to download it, you can split it up until it falls below the 1GB download size limit. I know this isn’t the ideal solution, but it will ultimately get the job done. 

If you’re wanting to zip your content in order to use less space in your Dropbox, you may be interested in this. By referring others to our service, you can earn more space for your Plus or basic accounts. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your question/request, and I thank you for participating in our forum! 

Cheers 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Happi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Rich--but how do you create the link for the Zip drive. I am having the same issue regarding size of file being too large and have created a zip folder. But on a macbook air, at least, i dont see an option to create a link to share the zipped folder. 

Happi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

To clarify, I am attempting to get the too big file from my computer to dropbox. Even after zipped, it is too large. 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey all, 
Just an update… the download limit for folders from our website is now 20GB! 

We recommend using our desktop app for uploading your files, as there is no size limit. You can get it here

Thanks!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey all,   

If it’s not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

[ Please feel free to get back in touch here at any time if you have any other Dropbox questions or experience any issues in the future. ] 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Wayne1234567 New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    Happi New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?