cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STOP Dropbox from backing up external drive

STOP Dropbox from backing up external drive

sanchmo
New member | Level 2

I made the mistake of accepting a request from Dropbox to back up an external drive plugged into my Mac. I didn't stop to think the files in that drive were going to be huge video files that should NOT be backed up to Dropbox. How do I stop the backup of that external drive? The help section says go to the preferences of the Mac Dropbox app and uncheck folders I don't want to be synced. There is NO such option. The only option is to uncheck something about set up notifications for new external drives.

There was another help suggestion  that suggested right clicking "the backup" and pausing it. WHAT backup?? I don't see the external drive listed anywhere in my Dropbox folder, and right clicking the external drive icon on my desktop doesn't show any Dropbox options.

How do I stop this backup without disabling ALL backups?? 

Thank you for any help on this.... 

1 Reply 1

Re: STOP Dropbox from backing up external drive

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey there @sanchmo, happy Monday! 

You should be able to see your external drive, inside your Dropbox folder. Can you confirm if this is the case here? 

You can remove your external drive backup in the same way that you would any other Dropbox folder, by deleting it.

When you delete an external drive backup from Dropbox, it simply deletes it from Dropbox, not from your external hard disk.

Can you give this a go? 

Thanks!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?